How to upgrade penn jigmaster drag

Started by Biggameaddict, August 24, 2012, 04:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggameaddict

I want to upgrade three penn jogmasters made in usa to get more drag. I think they already have carbon fiber drags stock so upgrading to carbontex wont be necessary? And if i upgrade to carbontex drags from smoothdrag do i need to change up the metal washers too? Do i have to grind down the sideplate with a dremel like alan did once in a post? And what kind of washer should i use to change out the bottom washer under the main gear? Im looking to get 12-15 pounds of drag from these and i know the stainless gear shaft would be necessary. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
-Bga

akfish

Abut all you can do to get more drag is (1) get the Smooth Drag Carbontex drag washer kit which includes are carbon fiber washer for under the main gear, (2) get perfectly flat metal washers from Smooth Drag, and (3) drop the $20 for the stainless steel gear sleeve. That **might** get you 12 pounds of drag. But you are risking damage to the main gear because the frame will torque and cause the gears to misalign. That problem can be solved with an aluminum frame, of course, but then you are talking quit a bit of money. Do you want to spend that on a Jigmaster??
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

Akfish has a good poin.  Personally, I would spend $100 on a Jigmaster...I've done it on a few. I would add the ss gear sleeve, aluminum frame ans some new carbontex washers, but I would leave them at 1+3. You will have a reel that should last a life time....if fished at around 10lb. 
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Biggameaddict