My current project

Started by outdoorsaddiction, August 25, 2012, 11:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsaddiction

Here is my current project everyone.  This is a second generation Penn 450ss that belonged to my father.  I have taken it all down and everything has shown to be in amazing shape including the bearings and there is almost no wear on the gears.  The only thing I'm going to do is sand the paint smooth and repaint it, polish all the brass, and lubricate the reel.  The only part I may have to replace is the bail spring because it is pretty weak, but besides that I am trying to keep this reel with all of its original parts.

Alto Mare

Nice project you got going there Outdoorsaddiction, I'm sure that reel will be as good as new when you get done with it.
I own two and they always come out with me.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Just don't sneeze and scatter the parts ;D  looks like a fun project...can't wait to see the finished project...what color you thinking of painting it?
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

wallacewt

just bought a 420ss(ebay)
very interested in the paint job as well

outdoorsaddiction

Probably going back with plain black.  I want it to look the same as it did out of the box when I give it back to my father on his birthday.

saltydog

Those Penn's are great reels,they really hold up to the abuse.Looking forward to the paint job keep us posted.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

outdoorsaddiction

Finished the reel today.  I replaced the bail spring and the eccentric spring, besides that everything is original.  The paint job didn't come out as well as I wanted because of using cheap paint.  Next time I will use car paint and clear coat it.  The reel works really smoothly now and is tight with no slop.  I'm very happy with this restoration.

wallacewt

you cant give that paint job to your dad for his birthday.
do it again or go and stand in the corner ;D
or tell him i did it.

outdoorsaddiction

lol, I showed him the reel today and he loved it.  I told him the paint didn't come out like I wanted it to and he said he was just happy to see it working again.   :D  The paint job looked pretty good when it was first done but the paint that I used just wants to stay tacky.  I painted the parts 3 days ago but the paint just won't harden.  I cleaned the reel well before I painted it, but I think the paint is the problem.  May just have to repaint it with automotive paint and then clear coat it.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

excellent work,im overruled and a brown-nose

outdoorsaddiction

lol, thanks guys.  I'm going repaint the black the next time I service it for him anyway.   ;D

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bill B

Now we know who to ask for spinner questions...good job!
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Nessie Hunter

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious ....

Good job..   :-)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!