Torium 20 pinion gear not coming off spool shaft?

Started by Biggameaddict, August 26, 2012, 03:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggameaddict

Hey everyone, i bought a torium 20 and i opened it to service but the pinion gear is stuck in place. It looks like its even kinda welded on to the spool shaft. It doesnt look rusted and i cant get this thing off if my life depended on it. Any helo would be greatly appreciated thanks.

akfish

It's corroded on. Getting it off can be tough because you can't just grab it with pliers and wrench it off. Try soaking it in PB Blaster for a few hours or over night then very carefully try to remove it. If you damage it you'll need to replace both it and the main gear, and that gets pretty spendy.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

get two matching screwdrivers and wedge them under the pinion gear and opposite sides, then gently turn both screwdrivers clockwise to apply even upward pressure to the pinion gear.  this will work!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Biggameaddict

Thanks akfish and alan. It was corroded on, what i did was add a couple drops off corrosion x and left it overnight. It just popped off the next day. Now what do you guys reccomend to get a little rust off the spool? I have all types of sandpaper but dont want to mess up the spool. Im waiting for the washers tomorrow alan!

alantani

one of those kitchen sponges with the green scrubby stuff on one side.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Biggameaddict

Quote from: alantani on August 29, 2012, 07:59:06 AM
one of those kitchen sponges with the green scrubby stuff on one side.   :-\
Ill try that thanks!