what tuna species are these??

Started by mohamedhashem21, August 26, 2012, 08:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mohamedhashem21

hello every body hope you are all fine :)

a boatman who runs a small boat in the Mediterranean sent me the following three photos as i asked him to do since i'm planning to go for tuna fishing on his boat in the next season he told me that this a 210 lbs BFT and he told me he has caught one over 450lbs but no photos for it , but i'm not sure that this is a BFT,is it?
does the Mediterranean tuna differs from the oceanic?
i'v nevere caught a Mediterranean BFT i caught many YFT and bigeye tuna but no BFT these pictures are different from any tuna i've ever caught also i feel it is different from the common BFT

also a friend of mine sent me a recent picture for a BFT he caught in the last season and it seems different

thank you all
mohamed hashem

Nessie Hunter

Looks like Bluefin Tuna to me...... 
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

conchydong

I also say Bluefin. Bigeyes have longer pectorals.

Dominick

Mohamed:  I checked Saltwater Gamefishing by Peter Goadby.  The book is out of print but it describes almost every game fish in the world.  That is a Bluefin Tuna.  It is sometimes called Northern Bluefin Tuna and Giant Bluefin.  If the book is available in the American Library check it out.  I checked Amazon.com and there are 6 new books available and 27 used books.  This is the best book on big game fishing I have ever read.  The book has everything from how to troll and how to rig for fishing.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mohamedhashem21

Quote from: conchydong on August 27, 2012, 04:52:51 PM

I also say Bluefin. Bigeyes have longer pectorals.
thank you very much but don't you know wether if this aatlantic blue fin or pzacific?

mohamedhashem21

Quote from: Pescachaser on August 27, 2012, 05:57:21 PM
Mohamed:  I checked Saltwater Gamefishing by Peter Goadby.  The book is out of print but it describes almost every game fish in the world.  That is a Bluefin Tuna.  It is sometimes called Northern Bluefin Tuna and Giant Bluefin.  If the book is available in the American Library check it out.  I checked Amazon.com and there are 6 new books available and 27 used books.  This is the best book on big game fishing I have ever read.  The book has everything from how to troll and how to rig for fishing.  Dominick
thank you very much and i'll search for the book :)
but i have a question is this a pacific bluefin or atlantic?

Dominick

Atlantic:  According to the book mentioned before these fish migrate across the Atlantic.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bruce

Hello  Perscachaser  on your recomendation I ordered     the book from Amazon .com.
         Not being a saltwater fishing person excepting Northern Cal Salmom and rockfish , I remembered a conversation we had about Tuna and you telling me that Yellowtail were not of that species. I mistakenly thought they were a Tuna because everything I had read always seemed to mention them togerther with tuna catches.
         I have since come to believe that Yellowtail are what East and Gulf coast fishermen call Amberjack.
         Once ice fishing with a cousin in Wissconsin I caught a small fish he called a lawyer or a ling. It did not look like either to me. I had not caught a lawyer ,but had landed ling cod  (greenling) in Nor Cal.
         I hope the book lists the regional names as well as international.
         My ID of the Bluefin was correct , having over the years seen many movies and photos of those magnificient fish. Bluefin is one that I have never seen an alternate name for outside of a prefix.

Thanks   Buzz
Buzz

day0ne

Quote from: Buzz on September 22, 2012, 03:39:37 AM
         I have since come to believe that Yellowtail are what East and Gulf coast fishermen call Amberjack.

Amberjack are different, like a first cousin to the yellowtail. Same family, different fish
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bryan Young

I thought amberjacks are the cousin of GTs. I am learning something new every day. :)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Their all jacks! The YT is in it's own quirky family of jack, the GT is the largest member of the trevally family of jacks and amberjacks are as close to a plain old jack as we get in this discussion. Whole bunch a jacks out their and almost all are good to eat and a thrill to go a few rounds with.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"