Over-stuffed Fish

Started by MauiWes, August 28, 2012, 06:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MauiWes

This is one of our favorite ways to cook the ulua we catch, but you could use any type of firm, moist fish. (Ahi seems to dry out with the long baking time)

3-4 lb    fish fillet, pocket cut, butterflied or split for stacking (as shown below..more stuffing/topping!)
1/2t      garlic salt
1/2t      black pepper

Stuffing:
2          garlic cloves, minced
8 oz      scallops, sliced or cubed
8 oz      imitation crab meat, cubed
8 oz      raw shrimp, cut into 1/2" pieces
8 oz      fresh button mushrooms, sliced
1          medium onion, diced
2T        capers, drained
1/4C     sweet vermouth (or white wine)
1-1/2C  mayonnaise

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Season fish with garlic salt and pepper. Set aside. Saute garlic in a small amount of canola oil until just browned. Add scallops, shrimp, onion and mushrooms. I usually spoon out the mushroom liquid once released. Just before mushrooms are fully cooked, add vermouth or wine and imitation crab meat and cook to reduce liquid. Pour into large mixing bowl, minus any remaining liquid. Thoroughly mix in the mayo. Place fish on slightly greased baking pan. Fill cavity with mixture, or layer as in photos below. Sprinkle with paprika and loosely tent with foil. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle with capers. Bake, uncovered, for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until browned.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

seaeagle2

Yum, I'm always on the look out for crab recipes that use crab.  I've got a similar recipe for shrimp stuffed salmon, I'll have to dig it out and post it.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D