better bearings for the application?

Started by hafnor, August 29, 2012, 06:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paal

Thor, have you seen this thread? http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3373.0

The only argument I could see against these bearings is freespol, but when the jigs weigh more than 10 oz and the bearings are stuffed with marine grease I don't see it as limitation :)

hafnor

Thank you for the post pål! I have a sleeve on the spool pinion so All I need is a right side plate bearing that can withstand more axial force than the EZO japan or bocabearing stainless steel bearings...

paal

What I started doing in an attempt to save the bearings is that I push the lever forward just to get sufficient traction (perhaps halfway to strike) to be able to jig ("slow-jigging for halibut, cod, pollack, etc). When I feel a bite, I'll push it to strike. This obviously only works for softbaits or natural baits, where there is "plenty" of time for hook set. Won't work for metal jigs that are likely to be rejected very quickly, or for speed jigging.

It would be interesting to try out those angular contact bearings. But the only LD reel I have left is an Andros, and I can't find the correct dimensions for this (6x15x5), the closest I find is 0.5mm too wide. I guess that could still work for the left spool bearing, but don't think there is any "slack" for the pinion bearing. Unless I grind away 0.5mm from the frame. But the Andros' frame is so light, I don't think it has any excess material anywhere....