better bearings for the application?

Started by hafnor, August 29, 2012, 06:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

I't keeps coming back in almost every lever drag reel (I use small LD reels and they have small bearings)... after every extensive fishing trip the right side plate bearing goes bad.. I feel it once the reel has been sitting for some days and the handle gets heavy once engaging drag... The bearings are fully packed with grease and with shields.

So two questions here: is this water intrusion or is the bearing toast due to axial load? I can not seem to find any stains or rust and once the bearing gets soaked in wd40 the bearing is good again (no grinding feel at all)

if axial load... I see some newsletters from bocabearings and they advertise double raceway bearings... any other bearings? does this help? the bearings I have are regular Stainless steel bearings with retainer and shields from Ezo or bocabearings.

hafnor

akfish

I think this has been discussed a time or two already. The sad fact is that there just aren't any better bearings to use in the side plate. If you pack your bearings with grease and keep the drag a bit less than the spec maximum, the bearings will last a while. But not forever. At least half the Shimano TLDs and Charter Specials I get in the shop need a new pinion bearing. Some have corroded, but many have just been push too hard with heavy drag. Okuma Makiaras, Avet Raptors, and Accurate Twin drag reels have solved much of this problem, albeit at a pretty steep cost.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

johndtuttle

Quote from: hafnor on August 29, 2012, 06:30:55 PM
I't keeps coming back in almost every lever drag reel (I use small LD reels and they have small bearings)... after every extensive fishing trip the right side plate bearing goes bad.. I feel it once the reel has been sitting for some days and the handle gets heavy once engaging drag... The bearings are fully packed with grease and with shields.

So two questions here: is this water intrusion or is the bearing toast due to axial load? I can not seem to find any stains or rust and once the bearing gets soaked in wd40 the bearing is good again (no grinding feel at all)

if axial load... I see some newsletters from bocabearings and they advertise double raceway bearings... any other bearings? does this help? the bearings I have are regular Stainless steel bearings with retainer and shields from Ezo or bocabearings.

Hey Hafnor,

One thing that jumped out at me was the use of WD-40. To be sure WD-40 should be used for cleaning only and not for lube. It has powerful solvent properties that give an initial increase in lube, but then it dries out completely leaving parts unprotected. Are you re-applying lube after cleaning with wd-40?

After that I am no expert on lever drags but believe the plate bearing is a traditional trouble spot. Be sure to store the reel with the drag preset backed off and the drag off to prevent continual pressure. If you store the reel with the bearing under pressure you may be cause some of the problem.

Maybe pm Alan your question along with the reel type and he may have other specific advice for you.

best

alantani

every time?  it's the axial load.  which reels are you running?  how much drag? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

hafnor

Thnk you for the response! I use a JM pe 4 (holds 300m of 50lb braid) and an alutecnos 12c (holds 400m of 80pound braid)... Both reels have never exceeded 25 pounds of drag.... JM pe4 has a max drag of 50 pounds (silly number!) alutecnos ( max 40lbs)

Both reels are experiencing same problem! I always clean out grease with wd40 than use alcohol for removing any substances and than pack it with yamaha marine grease!

Getting tired of this so thinking of going over to star drag reels, although I love mye LD! :)

hafnor

would a higher abec rating help me? (closer fit in the raceways) how about a ceramic bearing? double raceways?

I can not seem to find a reason why this is happening except for axial load.... I service my reels after each long trip...

alantani

these reel need thrust bearings.  that is really the only decent answer.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger

Quote from: alantani on September 02, 2012, 04:27:02 PM
these reel need thrust bearings.  that is really the only decent answer.   :-\
x2.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: hafnor on September 02, 2012, 03:10:30 PM

Getting tired of this so thinking of going over to star drag reels, although I love mye LD! :)

Hi Hafnor,I'll bet that little Saltiga  SA20 star drag of yours needs a lot less maintenance than the ld's. ;)
I gave up on ld's many years ago.

Boca Bearings do s/steel thrust ball bearings and may be worth looking at.

hafnor

star drag is great! Thrust bearing it is then!

hafnor

can somebody help me with a link to bocabearings with a suitable thrust bearing. OD'13mm ID:5mm Height:4mm

Keta

Quote from: akfish on August 30, 2012, 11:46:33 PM
The sad fact is that there just aren't any better bearings to use in the side plate

Flanged angular contact bearings will work far better.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

hafnor

Thank you Keta, could you be so kind and find me a link at bocabearings.com? bearing size is provided in the above post?

Ps. can anybody post a picture of a thrust bearing in a fishing reel does it look any different than regular bearings?

Keta

Quote from: hafnor on September 03, 2012, 05:08:51 PM
Thank you Keta, could you be so kind and find me a link at bocabearings.com? bearing size is provided in the above post?

Ps. can anybody post a picture of a thrust bearing in a fishing reel does it look any different than regular bearings?

I wish I could, so far I haven't found anything we can use.   I think it will take some modification to the side plate too.  This needs to be done by the reel manufactures.

Look at Timken type angular contact wheel bearings, same concept without a flange.  The flange it to keep the bearing in the right direction.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain