Penn Drag Question

Started by outdoorsaddiction, August 29, 2012, 09:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsaddiction

Will the Penn 114H drag washer set work in the standard 114?  I have an original Penn 114 with the posts and I want to upgrade the drag to carbontex.  Thanks.

Makule

Assuming the 114H is the high speed version, then the drag washers are different.  The slow speed 114 has a smaller main gear and small diameter washers.

Believe CF washers are available for the 114 (check with Dawn as Smooth Drags for a compatible set).  CF will add lots more drag even if you just used 3 washers, but it'll be lots better to upgrade to 5 +1 washers (or maybe even 7 + 1).  Then you'd probably want to upgrade the sleeve as well, to SS.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

outdoorsaddiction

The 114h is the senator special with the red side plates I'm not sure if that's the high speed version or not.  I'm planning on ss bearings and other upgrades right now.

George4741

What drags do you have in your reel now?  If there are five HT100's, then there is no need to change them.  HT100's and carbontex are the same material and perform the same.  If you want carbontex, though, then Smoothdrag's #20 is the correct size (correct me if I'm wrong, Dawn).  Don't forget to get a sixth drag washer to place under the main gear.

I don't know if you are able to upgrade this reel with bearings.  The black 114 has bushings.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

akfish

The 114H is the high speed version. They were red or maroon with the exception of a very few early ones that were black. The standard 114 (always black) takes much smaller drag washers than the 114H. If your 114 had a stack of three thick non-HT-100 drag washers, you'll need to get both the thin HT-100s and the metal washers. The fit is better is you used 6 thin HT-100s and a sixth metal washer.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

outdoorsaddiction

So if I have a 3 drag system I can replace it with 6 thin HT-100s and new washers?  Thanks to everyone for their help.  This Senator is really really old and it has been aggrevating to track down information on it, lol.  I have a different picture on my side plate than any 6/0 senators I've found.  I'm trying to turn this reel into an exclusive shark fishing reel and I want to beef up every area of the reel tha I can.  A 8-10 ft hammerhead or tiger shark can put up a powerful fight and I would hate to break a reel, lol.

Makule

Quote from: outdoorsaddiction on August 30, 2012, 08:22:52 PM
So if I have a 3 drag system I can replace it with 6 thin HT-100s and new washers?  Thanks to everyone for their help.  This Senator is really really old and it has been aggrevating to track down information on it, lol.  I have a different picture on my side plate than any 6/0 senators I've found.  I'm trying to turn this reel into an exclusive shark fishing reel and I want to beef up every area of the reel tha I can.  A 8-10 ft hammerhead or tiger shark can put up a powerful fight and I would hate to break a reel, lol.

If the reel is that old, it's likely to have a 3-piece pressed spool.  That spool will not be strong enough for shark fishing, unless you're planning on using braid, in which case it might be okay (or the shark are small).
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Dawn

If the reel has the older 3 drag stack, (3 metal, 3 fiber) you can change it to 5 and 5, you will need 5 carbon fiber drag washers and 5 metal washers, I have both if you end up needing them.  The carbon fiber washer for under the gear would be included.

Dawn
Dawn

outdoorsaddiction

Quote from: Makule on August 31, 2012, 03:51:21 AM
Quote from: outdoorsaddiction on August 30, 2012, 08:22:52 PM

If the reel is that old, it's likely to have a 3-piece pressed spool.  That spool will not be strong enough for shark fishing, unless you're planning on using braid, in which case it might be okay (or the shark are small).

I fish from the surf for sharks on the east coast so the biggest I could possibly catch will be about a 10 foot hammerhead and they're rare.  I mostly catch sand bar, black tip, and small tiger sharks here.

Thank you Dawn.  I will be placing an order within the next week or two, waiting on other parts right now, lol.