Craigslist Penn 200...Strange looking spool!

Started by Panama, August 29, 2012, 11:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panama

Was looking through Craigslist and found a Penn 200 with a spool "pattern" I have never seen before.  Almost looks like an animal print of some kind. Was wondering has anyone seen a spool like this?
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/spo/3226882489.html

Anthony
Get on the water, Man!!!

Alto Mare

Yes I have, but the plates where also the same. Penn did a run of all colors mixed together, I can't tell you the year though. I guess they were trying to clean up and use everything that was leftover. I've seen those reels go for a lot of money, tells me they didn't make many  :-\.
Later Anthony.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Robert Janssen

There once was an occurrence of reels known as End of Days, or End of Week reels, called so for the legend that at the end of the work week, Penn employees would clean out all the vats of colored plastic and dump them into the molds, resulting in reels with mottled or sometimes even psychedelic colored sideplates and spools.

Some of them are appreciated by certain collectors.

Fly around the internet for a while why doncha, you might find some pics.

Robert Janssen

Here; I beat you to it... Pic courtesy of Langs Auctions, from the Penn Vault Auction in 2003.

redsetta

A 'Woodstock anniversary special' perhaps ;) ;D
Nice-looking reel though - thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

George4741

Quote from: Robert Janssen on August 30, 2012, 12:32:36 AM

Here; I beat you to it... Pic courtesy of Langs Auctions, from the Penn Vault Auction in 2003.

Very interesting.  Odd looking drag wheel.
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Quote from: George4741 on August 30, 2012, 01:19:19 AM
Quote from: Robert Janssen on August 30, 2012, 12:32:36 AM

Very interesting.  Odd looking drag wheel.
That thing is a joke George, the handle is about 2 inches long. I tried it once and tossed it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 30, 2012, 01:42:06 AM
That thing is a joke George, the handle is about 2 inches long. I tried it once and tossed it.

I see what you mean.  I vaguely remember someone else discussing this handle somewhere on the forum.
viurem lliures o morirem