penn 112h pinion gear stuck on the spool shaft

Started by alantani, September 01, 2009, 07:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Quote from: plc16 on September 01, 2009, 09:55:27 AM
I hope someone can help!! I tried to clean the reel and ran into some problems nd wound up taking it apart! Big mistake. I've cleaned some reels in the past, never took them apart. And this one was very complicated. I think the pinion is stuck to the spool rod? Is this possible? And/or if I can't do this myself , who can? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as i am about to pull out my last remaining hairs!!

ok, here's what you do.  you will have to unscrew the freespool lever to remove the spool with the pinion gear stuck on it.  add any oil to the stuck pinion gear and let it sit overnight.  then get two flat screwdrivers and place them under the pinion gear at the 3 and 9 o'clcock position.  now turn both screwdrivers in a clockwise fashion to lift the pinion gear equally from both sides.  have a friend hold the spool in place.  take care not to damage the pinion gear.  you will need it again later.  ok, the pinion gear lifted up.  now take a wire brush and clean off the spool shaft.  use a piece of curled up sand paper or a close fitting drill bit (careful here) to clean out the inside of the pinion gear.  add corrosion x to both, or add grease if you don't care about freespool.  that should fix the problem and make sure it dose not happen again.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

tortugo

Alan,
Here is a little variation on how to unstick a pinion gear. You need two j shaped screw drivers and another person to hold the spool with the stuck pinion gear. Position the two screw drivers under the pinion gear and while the other person is holding the spool, on top of a vise is a good spot, apply equal pressure to both sides and hopefully it will come right off.