Saltist 20 Levelwind Drag

Started by Pollack, August 30, 2012, 07:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pollack

Hi,
Does anyone know whether this reel has drag washers similar to the carbontex ones, Daiwa state that the washers are carbon fabric with steel & bakelite. I have ordered one but am uncertain whether I need to order new washers from Dawn. Can anyone please throw some light on this for me.
Best Regards
Pollack

redsetta

G'day Pollack,
The Saltigas/Saltists I've done all have oil-impregnated fibre washers, which I usually upgrade to CF/Carbontex.
Here's Alan's take: http://www.tackletour.com/articlereelmaintenancedaiwasaltist.html
Hope that's of some assistance.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Pollack

Thanks Justin, i've read that post which made me think that the upgrade was needed, but other posts say that Daiwa have upgraded their drags. I think that i'll play it safe & order new ones - nothing worse than having a substandard sticky drag.

mhc

Hi Pollac
The few saltists I have, 30HA, 30TH, 30T, all came with carbon fibre washers (the 30T was used and could have been after market) From what I have read, the early saltists had a paper like washer that was later upgraded to carbon fibre as you said. It might be worth waiting until you do a 'pre-fish' service on your reel and replace the washers if they are not carbon fibre. The original washers will be adequate until the carbon fibre arrive & it will give you an excuse to strip the reel again ;D regards, Michael
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Pollack

Hi Michael,
I like the way you are thinking, but i'm going to play it safe & order some new washers (its a great excuse to get some cals grease)

alantani

all of daiwa's reels are now carbon fiber with teflon grease.  check the drag.  if it's smooth, you're good!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!