Diawa CV-X 300a

Started by Ron Jones, August 31, 2012, 10:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

Good morning,

I bought this reel when my wife and I were dating and we just celebrated out 10th wedding anniversary. I have caught more fish than I care to count on it mated to several rods. I lubed it up tonight to go out tomorrow and decided it is time to pay her back with some upgrades. As strong as the reviews are on this reel, I sure can't find a lot of info about hot rodding it.

Some questions:
I understand the CV-Z has more plates and disks and a smoother drag, does anyone know if I can install the Z stack in my reel?

What power handles are available for this model?

Finally, I absolutely LOVE my pocket rocket Penn 320 I modified according to Alan's tutorial, is their a similar benefit to removing the level wind on this reel? Or does the speed shaft negate the benefit?

Lastly, anything else that can be done to improve prformance? I can cast better with this reel than any other, clearing a football field plus when I'm hot, but anything to make this reel cast or fight better will be worth it, as I said, I owe it the reel.

Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

carbon fiber drag washers and cleaned out bearings to start.  that's about as good as you can get. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

My Google Fu is stronger today than yesterday. Dawn has shipped drags to someone from this forum already, 9 bucks is a great deal. The power handle from a Grand Wave fits and I can get one for a reasonable price, better than the $100.00 one I found. Also, some people have removed the level wind and said it definitely makes a difference. Once I get all the parts I'll let you all know how it goes.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"