Need help identifying reel

Started by Westii, September 01, 2012, 12:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westii

This reel was given to me, along with several other baitcasters.  There does not appear to be any model number on the reel.  The only marking is a stamped area on the right side plate saying "Built by ABU Sweden".  No numbers on the reel foot either.  Can someone help me identify the reel?

redsetta

G'day Westii,
Looks like a 5600 to me (perhaps a 'C'?), but Ken may be able to corroborate.
A nice little reel.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Westii

Thanks, Justin.  It does look similar to some of the other 5600c's I've just seen through an internet search.  It does appear to be a little older than some of the others I've seen pictures of.  It seems to be in good working condition, so I'm thinking of just replacing the drags with greased CF and giving everything a good cleaning and lube.  Looks like a pretty decent little reel.

Regards,

Rick

redsetta

G'day Rick,
Yeah, good call - CF drag and a good clean up, and you're away...
This may assist:
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ken_D

Hi, folks, as long as nothing's been switched about, then everybody's on point. 5600C. Use this drawing.
The main clue is the side plate style. There's room for a decal around the perimeter.  Clue two is the palming
LH sidepate.  

The first series had plates kinda bevelled, much like the ones seen on today's latest Abu C3's from Sweden, and two cast caps.

Cheers, Ken.  
http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/ambassadeur/Ambassadeur_5600C_81-08.pdf

PS: if you self-service, remember to place the reel in cast mode, by poking a thin tool into the cresent-shaped hole on the brake plate, or: before you button up, manually manipulate the reel in to cast mode, before you put the sideplate on the brake plate.  The pin on the thumb-bar does not like to be inserted into the crescent until there's room. Later models of 46/56/66 have addressed this.

From Real's Reel's: [img]http://www.realsreels.com/NewReleases/1977-30Ambassadeur5600C.jpg/[img]

Westii

Thanks, Ken!  Do you or Justin know which set of CF drag washers I should order from Dawn for this?  The schematic you sent appears to show the same size washer (part #975053) for both.  The ones in this reel are different.  The one under the main gear has a large inside diameter and the one on top has a smaller inside diameter.

Rick

Ken_D

Sounds like a common setup. The big top washer can be had from Abu, from the present day 7000's, or smoothdrag.

Westii

I took the measurements of the drag washers and called Dawn at Smoothdrag.  She knew exactly what I needed and is sending them out.

I just thought of a new question.  What pound test line and drag settings would be appropriate for this reel?  I really like the size and feel of this little, narrow reel and was thinking of using it for larger bass fishing, maybe with 14-15 pound test mono.  Does that sound reasonable?

Rick

I use 12 and 14# mono on my 4500's. I think your right on the mark for line size.

Westii

Thanks to all of you for the information.  This is my first Abu reel and I really like the quality.  I also prefer metal reels over the newer graphite and plastics, even though it is heavier.  It cleaned up nicely and all I need now is the new drag washers before hitting the water with it.  ;D

Rick

You and me must be the only ones that do. Im having arguments on a couple forums about that. Most of todays "men" can't pick up a reel unless it weighs under 6oz.

Ken_D

Quote from: 0119 on September 02, 2012, 05:31:34 PM
You and me must be the only ones that do. Im having arguments on a couple forums about that. Most of todays "men" can pick up a reel unless it weighs under 6oz.

I'm a fan of round abus as well. Especially the late 70's mid-80's models, in C mode, with the brass frame, chromed, instead of today's aluminum ones. (A few of the higher-end now models have a brass frame, but they are a bit lighter than the first ones.)