decisions, decisions ...........

Started by alantani, September 03, 2012, 03:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Hi Alan,

I just stumbled across your site and its nice to meet you and I'm very appreciative of there being people like you out there.  I would like to order some parts for a trip I have coming up in 3 weeks and would be willing to pay any extra amount to use PayPal to expedite this first order, if possible.

I live in San Clemente CA and will be fishing So-Cal and on into Mexico.  The reels I am asking on are my personal and I have access to all manner of Internationals and Tuna Sticks that oldest cousin is responsible for and essentially part of a sort of family trust, for any of my trolling needs.

I think I know what I need, but would appreciate any suggestions on further improvements, I am a gearhead and would like to get the most out of my reels and be able to hand them down.  I'm sentimental and mainly stick with Penns, grandpa's are still in use, dad's are, and I liken them to old cars, easy to work on and should last forever if properly maintained (and I get a kick out of reeling the same fish on a 50 year old reel as the guy next to me with a new $500 reel!).  

My varsity squad:
Penns:
112h, 113h, and 114h, all with Accurate frames and older new power handles(the thinner profile) w/ HT100 drags, I need stainless course gear sleeves and...advice..

2 nib 500Ls with older new Accurate handles, I need the stainless gear sleeves and...advice...and should I put Accurate, Tiburon, or Newell frame on them...

155 with the same Accurate handle as the others, HT100s, Newell bars and seat, same needs as other reels.

285 and 49 Super Mariner w/ HT100s and as I did with the 155, a frame off restoration w/ all new springs and appropriate Cal's lubrication, same needs as other reels.

Abu Garcia:
Ambassadeur Revo Toro 50-HS unupgraded,
Diawa:
Seagate SGT50H nib
Shimano:
Cardiff 300A nib

Is there a drag or bearing upgrade, or anything else for these to improve performance?

Junior varsity:
Penns:
220 GTO nib, 85, 309, 111, 112 - all frame off restorations w/ new springs and any other needed repairs and with HT100s, any thoughts?

The varsity team is priority, and depending on cost, may need to do upgrades in stages by priority.

I would love to beef up my 112h to spool w top-shotted Spectra to be my workhorse for medium-size-plus conditions, and any advice on maximum Spectra capabilities that I can downsize with lower top-shot according to conditions as my whole family lives on the Big Island and these reels might head over there once a year.

I know I am asking a lot, and can hopefully make it up to you with business and success photos.

Kindest Regards, G

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

shipping is not a problem.  i can get this stuff out without a problem.   there are a couple of things that i'd recommend.  first, the basics....

- penn ht-100 drag washes are fine.  the fiber washers under the main gear should be replaced with carbon fiber.  in any reels with "jigmaster" gear sleeves, the fiber washer under the main gear should be replaced with carbontex drags.  in any reels with 113h or 114h gear sleeves, the fiber washer under the main gear should be replaced with either a carbontex drag washer or an ht-100 drag washer. 

- now strip down the reels, grease all the drag washers with cal's grease, put a light coat of yamaha marine grease on al the non-exposed metal surfaces, clean the bearings and bushings and lube them with tsi 301, get them strung up and let's make sure they all work. 

- you choice of line will determine your drag setting.  that drag setting has to be within specs for the reel.  you can't get 15 pounds out of a 3/0 senator 112h. 

- your drag setting is basically the amount of pressure you are putting on the entire system.  that total amount of pressure will determine the need for additional upgrades, or not. a stainless steel gear sleeve may or may not be needed.  an aluminum frame may be useful or a waste of money.  aluminum side plates are usually a waste of money regardless.  upgraded handles are very nice. 

- check your wallet and your watch.  you may be better off with 1 or 2 new reels then 10 old ones. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!