reel deal transmission?

Started by twopatch, September 03, 2012, 10:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Normslanding

I just gave one to a disabled vet, in Hawaii. The reels of choice were a 99, 259, 60, or a 4/0. In order to get the "U" bracket on some reels, like a 4/0 grinding on the side plate is required. This can leave a open spot for water intrusion at the main gear. Positioning of the "U" bracket on the reel is critical.
When this is done correctly they work well. Being a two speed they are complex. They are very well made, the internals have good tolerance and great engineering. The best, and worst thing about a Reel-Deal is the spline that fits into the reel handle nut hole. It is a very nice, and durable piece. But trying to find, or make a spare is a reel chore.
The other brand is the Powerhouse. It is a single speed, not as bulky a Reel-Deal. The spline piece is Hex stock, and hardened. It is easy to duplicate.
When using a Powerhouse you must short pump a fish, this is due to the gear ratio. Fishing wise the Powerhouse is the preferred choice buy the guys who used them a lot.
YoYo fishing is at another level due to the speed form these things. My old friend Chuck Graham is the best I ever saw with these things. Many time the only guys to get bit were using a trans. This was for fish who like speed, like Yellowtail, Bluefin Tuna, and Wahoo.
The only reel built today that might substitute for a transmission would be Okumas Cedros lever drag 20. It has a retrieve of 62.2"

john2244

If anyone has one of these transmission available for sale I might be interested.
John

twopatch

Up date... I came across a squidder 140. It mounted up easy enough. and I gave it a spin,and it really spins fast. 
I took it out over the week end just to see how it reeled . It was akward reeling it in,on that wide little reel. I am thinking it would work good on something a little slower ,and narrower. I think a long beach 60,or delmar 85 might be a perfect fit.

Bryan Young

John,

I seem to see these come up on Craigslist in LA and OC quite often.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alex from GA

I know this thread is a few years old but I just came on and I have a black one I'll part with.  It's on a  250 surfmaster.