Mikaira 10se Mounting Problems w/ Pics

Started by Billy V, September 05, 2012, 04:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy V

I am trying to mount my new Mikaira 10se to a factory Calstar Grafighter 700-H and it will not fit......
-The reel seat on the rod is a size 26 Fuji Graphite Reel Seat.

Does anyone know the solution to this fitment problem ? Which Reel Foot and Hardware combination would fit correctly ?

Thanks in Advance
Bill

alantani

ugghhh!  wrong clamp!  maybe even the wrong reel seat....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Billy V

Alan can you please advise me which clamp I need to make this correct.

-I just bought this expensive piece and I am leaving on a trip tomorrow. Needless to say I am not happy.

The Charkbait guys said to mount the Mikaira 8 foot and clamp, but I am not satisfied with that answer. I do not want to Jerry Rig this reel to a 30-80 lb Calstar 700-H.
------------------
I sent an email with PICS to Okuma but they were leaving in 15 minutes and offered to make the correction if I drove all the way to Ontario tomorrow. I live in San Diego - so that is not going to happen.

Please Help.

Bryan Young

Doesn't look like you can jerry rig anthing since the screws are too close...unless you can get a set of Shimano bent reel seat screws.  They are essentially s-shaped.  that may work for the time being.

You may want to stop by Ken's.  I'm sure they have something available.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

bill, forget the clamp and go fish.  you will not have a problem.  clearly the clamp does not fit your reel.  i do not know what happened there.  i think you got the wrong one, unless the angle is way off because of the way the photo was shot.  also, honestly, that reel seat is way to big for the reel you have.  a grafighter 700m would work better.  you might be able to get those long nuts to screw down if you force it.  it would mean digging into the sides of the reel seat as you screw in the long nuts for the reel clamp. 

Billy V

I just tried mounting it to my Calstar Grafighter 700-MH 25-60 lb. It has a size #24 Fuji Reel Seat.

It barely fits on that rod, but I have it mounted.

I wrote to Okuma w/pics, and requested a solution for mounting it to my factory 700-H.

A reel that makes 27/34 lbs. of drag is certainly qualified for use on a 700-H 30-80lb (50 lb.) rod. Thats where I intended to use this reel.

I will post an update after Okuma responds.

Thanks for the replies.

Bryan Young

Maybe the reel is designed with newer rods in mind, like Phoenix, where the blanks are narrower.  Just saying, meaning nothing, probably.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

doradoben

Billy, I don't know what a Mikaira clamp looks like, but the one in your photo reminds me of a Tib rod clamp. You can try the local tackle store for an aftermarket generic aluminum clamp that's narrower. As another option, might you have a heavy 7 ft rod with cork tape instead of a reel seat??

day0ne

Try one of the Tib after market clamps for rods that don't come with clamps

http://www.tiburonengineering.com/products/reel-clamps

You're mixing new technology with old. The reel isn't made for that big a reel seat. The rods it is designed for use 20-22 reelseats, or smaller, like vertical jigging rods
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

ElFred

I've had the same dilema and went ahead and filed grooves in the rods to accomodate the clamp bolts. I don't think the grooves affect the integrity of the rods.

wahging

I had the same problem with my Okuma Andros 5--for some reason Okuma reel clamp spacings are very narrow.  They fit perfect on #20-22 seats like Phoenix and Jaws rods. Had a Catalina 45L that would barely fit a #24 seat

Billy V

Here's an update on the situation:

Okuma Said:
"Bill,

I am sorry to report to you that we do not have a reel foot base that will accommodate your Calstar rod reel seat #26. We have tried installing the MK-15II reel seat to the MK-10 and it is not wide enough to fit this wide of a reel seat. I was told the MK-10II will fit up to a #22 reel seat and the MK-20II will fit the larger size reel seats.

Thank You,"
-------------------------------------
Then Mark Smith Owner of Charkbait stepped in and advised Okuma that they had see this happen before with another customer, and the solution was to use the Reel Foot and Clamp Kit from the Mikaira 8 - on the Mikaira 10 Reel, and it would fit the size 26 Reel Seat.

They actually dissembled and swapped out the reel foot in the shop and mounted it to a size 26 reel seat - it worked fine.
-Mark sent Okuma email stating the above.
-------------------------------------
Okuma said they would send out the foot and clamp kit from the Mikaira 8 - last Thursday.

I will update again later this week if parts arrive.

Billy V

I received the clamp kit from Okuma this morning. The Mikaira 8 reel foot and back strap will fit the larger size 26 reel seat.
Good customer service.

alantani

i have both reels, the 8 and the 10, but never thought to look.  i knew they were different, but would not have guessed that the makaira 8 footprint would be bigger than a 10.....