Xtreme Reel X+ Questions

Started by ram, September 02, 2009, 11:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ram

I have had problems with corrosion on Jigging Master reel handle bearings with Corrosion X/Reel X.  there are two bearings inside the tube that connects the handle to the piece that connects to the reel.  I think I can avoid future problems by covering the outside of the bearings with grease before screwing them in place, then putting grease over the screw heads.  I have also gotten stainless ABEC 5 bearings to replace the OEM bearings.

I was thinking of trying Xtreme Reel X+ but wanted to check on your current opinion of corrosion protection with this product.  In your experience so far is it as effective as Corrosion X in preventing rust?

I am also concerned about recent posts here and elsewhere that you need to reapply the product periodically - taking these handles apart is not easy (I can always get one screw loose but the screw on the other end is hard to undo because it is hard to get a grip on the shaft to get it loosened).  I'd rather avoid having to reapply more than twice a year if I could. 

I also thought about using Xtreme Reel X+ on the bearings and letting them fully dry, then using Corrosion X on them to avoid having to reapply.
Or, if that won't work, maybe applying Xtreme Reel X+ several times before reassembly.

What do you think?

BTW, dittos on what everyone else has said about your tutorials, tips, etc.  I have really enjoyed your work thru the years.

Richard in Louisiana

alantani

you know, i've found that corrosion x lasts 3 to 6 months with pretty continuous use.  i think that mixing xtreme reel + and corrosion x basically leaves with with corrosion x.  to get the best spin out of a bearing with xtreme reel +, you need to remove all of the hydrocarbon based oils and greases or it will start to slow down within a few days.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!