Dove Breast Rumaki

Started by Bill B, September 06, 2012, 12:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

September 1st is the dove opener everywhere, been hunting dove for over 15 years and like this, dove breast is a dark meat that has a strong flavor that lends itself to a strong marinade or seasoning:  (I have also heard this will work well with duck breast too)

Rumaki

10 dove breasts, fileted from the breast bone
2 cups soy sauce
2 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1 lb bacon
toothpicks

combine dove, soy sauce, garlic onion and chili powder in a zip lock bag marinate 4+ hours
wrap dove around chestnut, then wrap with 1/2 slice bacon and pin with toothpick
broil or bbq until bacon is done

BBQ Dove Breast
10 dove breasts fileted from bone
Montreal Steak Seasoning

generously season dove breast with seasoning and bbq until just done, if you over cook it'll be dry
serve hot off the grill with a wheat ale like ShokTOP or Blue Moon
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

saltydog

Yummy just got done making some tasty little bacon wrapped dove nuggets last night.Will have to try this recipie.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bill B

I hunted the Niland, CA area again this year and just couldn't get on the birds, took a father/son new hunters with us this year and they posted in a better spot and missed more birds that i could get a shot at...sounded like a war zone closer to the 111 south of us and reports were lots of people getting peppered by others....ended up with two birds for me and the father/son ended up with 10 between themselves....reading another site the birds were thick in other areas of the Imperial Valley...guess my shootin" chased the birds to them ;D at least that's my story....how'd you do?
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

saltydog

Well most of the first few days were good but they got smart and moved into town now so until the next cold front gives us more birds there are just a few dove here and there but thats hunting.We limited out the first three days,and had a couple of real nice BBQ's with the family.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur