Brock Fee's Creations - ***ENJOY***

Started by Bryan Young, September 06, 2012, 04:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Note, for some pics, you will need to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the post to shift the scroll sideways to see the remaining portion of the picture.

Note, on the Newells, the those are Ti bearing caps and he can make them and the handle nuts as well.

You may contact Brock via www.rocketreels.com or email at Oio@hawaii.rr.com.  He is located in Kapahulu. (Mahalos Rodent)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Bryan,
     Innovative! I'm loving the side plates and knurling job.  Does he do custom side plates for customers?
Those handles are sexy as hell!
Dom

Bill B

That Ace looks like a brute of a reel...any pecs on that one....all look beautiful and great craftmanship.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Makule

Quote from: broadway on September 06, 2012, 05:07:00 PM
Bryan,
     Innovative! I'm loving the side plates and knurling job.  Does he do custom side plates for customers?
Those handles are sexy as hell!
Dom

He'll do all kinds of custom jobs.  I asked him about some, but the price was out of my league.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

broadway

Tarfu,
     I have to agree.... looks like something Sal would build.
Mak,
     Are we talking about having to sell a penn 10/0 for a set of side plates or a 16/0? :o
Thanks
Dom

Bryan Young

Dom, he will, but the first will be the most expensive. After he has the CAD design and CNC data, it will probably be cheaper. Also cheaper by the quantity.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Bryan,
    Over the winter when I do my reel work I'll see what I need, and then get his number from ya.
Thanks for the heads up!
Dom

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on September 07, 2012, 03:30:31 PM
Bryan,
    Over the winter when I do my reel work I'll see what I need, and then get his number from ya.
Thanks for the heads up!
Dom

Dom:  You are not going to have time.  The newspaper reported an El Nino settled in off the California coast.  It should bring lots of snow for your enjoyment, and for mine, I can't wait to take out the snowmobiles.   :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Makule

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 07, 2012, 04:50:57 AM
Dom, he will, but the first will be the most expensive. After he has the CAD design and CNC data, it will probably be cheaper. Also cheaper by the quantity.

As Bryan says, the first unit will be the most expensive.  Additionally, however, is that Brock has a fairly small CNC milling machine so it cuts slowly.  Somewhere in the back of my mind, I recall something about having to cut for 5 hours to do a set of side plates.  That does not include the time to program the CNC, and the cost of material also has to be factored in as well.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

broadway

Dominick,
    Stop! ... I could cry :'(

Albert,
    Even after the first unit it would take that long (5+ hrs?) ...sound excessive, but it's not my forte`.   In that case, this would probably be outside the range for me.
They are sweet, though!
Dom

Makule

Quote from: broadway on September 08, 2012, 06:57:26 AM
Dominick,
    Stop! ... I could cry :'(

Albert,
    Even after the first unit it would take that long (5+ hrs?) ...sound excessive, but it's not my forte`.   In that case, this would probably be outside the range for me.
They are sweet, though!
Dom

If I recall correctly, yes, even successive units would take a very long time cut.  As mentioned, Brock has a small machine, so cutting is very slow.  He is not a full size commercial shop.  Rather, he is a fisherman who also enjoys machining and pays for his hobbies by doing jobs on his machines.  Lots of us do that, including myself.  CNC machines are very expensive (think in terms of tens of thousands), so unless you have a shop that needs it on a regular basis, or have money to burn, buying even a moderate size machine will set you back some coins.  I don't think we have anything except hobby size machines on this island, but on Oahu (where Brock is) there are larger units that the commercial guys own and use.  I believe Brock told me he had a Taig unit.

Even though CNC machines (both lathe and milling) can do complicated work, their real value is for those jobs where many of the same pieces are produced.  The computers stores all of the speeds, feeds, directions of cuts, number of cuts, etc., so it can do the same routine all day long without deviation and/or error (as long as the input is correct to begin with).  It's also valuable on extremely complicated and multiple-step cuts, where the operator would normally need to stop and measure the next step, cut, measure another step, cut, etc.  Certainly, there are some things that the CNC can do (even one-of kinds of pieces) that even the most talented and experienced humans would find practically impossible.  For things like cutting a frame or individual side plate, that's relatively simple.  A big machine, assuming the program is already inputted, can whip it out in minutes.  Again, however, that machine would cost boku bucks from the get go.

broadway

Albert,
     I can appreciate the expense of those machines, as my friend who works at Arizona (Beverage company) as their jack of all trades/artist just recently purchased one for their shop.  I believe it was over 80K.  I asked him how long it might take when he was over yesterday and his answer was, after programming it maybe 2 minutes.  My buddy doesn't produce in mass quantity, for the most part it's all one-off stuff.  Maybe I'll ask him to do something for me after work with the CNC, however I don't wanna ask to much as he is the same friend who's building me a sick reel display ;)
Brock produces lovely creations, but I'm not looking to pay for 5 hrs. of machining when I can pay for 2 minutes at a larger shop.  These machining facilities have slow periods where they might be between jobs and take on a smaller job to keep employees and the machine making money.  It's like a tug boat or tractor trailer... any down time is lost money, so keep on a truckin'!
Thanks
Dom

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal