Hello from Maryland

Started by 58Evinrudebigtwin35, September 07, 2012, 10:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58Evinrudebigtwin35

Wow, what a wealth of knowledge and experience here.  I know I am going to like this place.  My name is Tony as you can tell from my log in I have and continue to use some old stuff.  Old motors and old tackle.  I recently restored my fathers' old boat and trolling rods and continue to fish with his old reels. This gear is still used to fish the Chesapeake Bay and rivers of Southern Maryland where we live.  Nothing but salt water.  They are the same reels ond rods we used when I was a little kid back in the 50's.  The reels are a couple of Penn 60's and Ocean City 112's and 113's as well as a Penn 65 and a Penn 65 badged as a Sears JC Higgens.  They were well cared for back in the day and still are today.  I have serviced the Penn's regularly as well as the OC's.  But unless I find some drag washers for the OC's they will be relegated to display items.  These reels were new in the 50's.  I hope to learn some things and listen to the vast experience out there.

Thanks

Tony
Anthony, stai zitto e mangia!

outdoorsaddiction

Irish Jigger

Alto Mare

Welcome Tony, My boat is at the tip of the Chesapeake, on the Elk river. Not much fishing going on up there, except for catfish and perch. This is my second year there, I stayed for the crabs, but that also gone. Did you get any crabs this year?
You will like it here Tony.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

58Evinrudebigtwin35

Thanks glad to find this forum!

I'm in central Calvert County so the Patuxent River is to the west and the bay to the east. 20 minute trailer trip to each. Due to a heavy work schedule have not yet trolled the bay this season.  Got some nice Hardhead croaker between Broomes Island and Patuxent River NAS drifting the oyster bars.  Hopefully will go after rock blue and stripers trolling off Drum Point next week.

Tony

alantani

welcome!  here is how you can cut some drag washers to fit.  it makes a real mess, though.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=175.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

Bryan Young

Welcome Tony. Glad to have you. I just services a bunch of OC and Pfleugers and they are now back in action. Those seem to last and last.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

58Evinrudebigtwin35

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.  In addition to those old reels I have several spit bamboo boat and trolling rods too.  One by one they are getting stripped refinished and re-wrapped.  I made my own rod wrapping jig as well as a bucktail wrapping machine.  Got the ideas from youtube. They mostly hang on the wall but when I take them out I get a lot of inquiries at the ramp about the gear.   I like my old stuff but I need to keep up with the modern equipment too!  I would possibly like to do some service work when I retire in the next few years if I get compentent enough and broaden my knowledge.  I have a long way to go.

Again thanks!

Tony 

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Tony, welcome to Mr. Tanis neighborhood...

Bill B

Welcome from Southern California...I like the old stuff also...waiting for a package from my dad with some Penns that we fished with in the 70's and they were used before he got 'em....I'm also the owner of a 1967 Montgomery Wards 13' aluminum SeaKing with 9.9 two stroke....you'll have fun here...
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur