Fastener Torque on Reels

Started by mikelowe, September 03, 2009, 06:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikelowe

Alan,

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but I would like to know if there are guidelines you use for how tight the fasteners/nuts should be when assembling a reel that has just been taken apart.   

Thanks.

alantani

been doing this for 10 years.  i've snapped off more then a few screw heads.  you want enough torque so that the nut, screw or bolt seats properly.  this is particularly important because i refuse to use loctite in a salt water environment.  everything gets greased so you have to have fasteners torqued down enough. 

from a practical point of view, you simply get a feel for it after a while.  plan on making a few mistakes along the line............
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

dogdad1

Has there been ANY questions in someone's mind that's not been answered already? (and usually by Alan T).  I was just about to ask this myself, but figured I'd better do a Search first.  And Voila, there it is, he already answered it... over 2 years ago!

I learned to tighten small screws, etc by the "number of wrist-clicks" method (think torque-wrench here).  And so on, up to the big bolts with the shoulder-click.  I admit it was a learned-process, and as mentioned too often the hard way.
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

Keta

Reel screws and bases are made from several materials and it's hard to say "a 10-24 screw should be torqued to 5 inch pounds". 

The best I can tell you is snug but not too tight.  I've learned by breaking screws.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

This is a true story that came to mind from this thread.  I have an uncle who is 86 years old and he hasn't learned yet.  I remember as a youngster being on a hunting trip and uncle Vinnie under the hood of the Jeep.  I already had experience with his over tightened screws.  I heard "tick" then an oh sheese.  The next thing I know we are mostly going downhill off the mountain to the nearest town to fix the problem.  The nearest town was Callicoon, NY.  So we go into Ziggy's gas station and Ziggy is lying down under a car.  There is one of the local farmers standing in the garage next to the pot belly stove.  A big guy in overalls sort of rocking on his heels.  I greeted him in a courteous fashion and turned to talk to Ziggy.  The big guy said something that perked up my ears.  Something about Kennedy getting shot.  This being the deer hunting season in NY I figured some local got himself shot.  So I said to him "sorry to hear that, where did it happen?"  He said he wasn't sure but he thought it was somewhere in Texas.  I am a little slow to catch on.  I am standing there during the NY hunting season wondering why this farmer is worried about some guy in Texas getting shot.  He then says "I don't know what is going on in this world when in this day and age someone would shoot the president of the US."  If My uncle had not broken that bolt I would not have heard about the assassination for another 4 days as we were not scheduled to come off the mountain until the 26th.  It was November 22, 1963 so where were you when you heard?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jimmer

Sick at home with the measles in second grade.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

redsetta

A twinkle in my father's eye... ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

floating doc

At my desk in third grade... Maitland, Florida.
Central Florida

suitekids

seaeagle2

I was 4 years old watching tv trying to figure out why my mom was so upset and what she was yelling out the window to the guys building the house next door.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Bill B

Mom was 9 months pregnant with me, I was born about three weeks later in Santa Monica, CA
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

GulfOfBothnia

Probably sleeping or drinking milk. Or crying.
Can't remember  ::)

onemako

Was waiting in a line to get my drivers license and they announced it and didnt know whether to close courthouse.

bluefish69

I was 3 Months into my Apprenticeship as a Plumber. The 6 story building is on Albany Ave & Rutland Rd. in Brooklyn N.Y.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.