Pork Spare Rib Adobo

Started by Bill B, September 08, 2012, 05:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Pork Spare Rib Adobo---Got this recipe from a Filipino Co-Worker (Myra)....

1 slab pork spare ribs cut into thirds (making little 1 1/2" riblets) then separate into individual ribs
1 cup soy sauce (she swears she can tell the difference between Filipino Soy and everything else)
1 cup cider vinegar
8 whole cloves garlic peeled and minced
4 bay leaves
2 teaspoons pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large jalapeno pepper
1 teaspoon dried chili flakes

Combine all in a dutch oven and let marinate 2+ hours
Simmer approx. 1 hour until sauce starts to reduce....too much reduction will result in a strong broth

Serve over steamed jasmine rice, with chopped chives or scallions on top, with a couple San Miguel Beer..

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

Tarfu:  How much do you weigh? :D  You sure are into food.  I like this recipe.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Makule

There are many variations of the recipe.  One of my favorites was fried after boiling the pork.

"Tamari" soy sauce is my favorite.  There are some other "artificial" ones that are also very good (but some people just like "natural" and "original" stuff).  I'm not a big fan of Kikoman, but their Tamari is very good.  Never heard of Filipino soy sauce.  Maybe she's talking about patis (fish sauce).  There are definite differences in the taste of those.

I also do not use ground pepper.  Whole pepper corns give the best aroma and flavor, without the overly spicey (hot) taste.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

conchydong

There are a few brands of Soy sauce made in the Philippines. The most common imported into the States are Datu Puti and Silver Swan. They are available at most Asian markets along with Filipino vinegars. I also agree with using whole peppercorns. If you don't mind a little pork fat, the belly or "liempo" makes good adobo also.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

you can also substitute chicken or use both pork and chicken. i prefer browning the meats first at least that's what i learned from my mother. you should try it because it gives more flavor to the end product. bon appetite!

Bill B

Pesca...I was up to 238 at my heaviest (5'10") but through good food and moderate eating and exercise down to 190....found that with wholesome food instead of junk it's hard to be fat....Myra also suggested chicken wings instead of ribs....will try browning the ribs first to add an extra dimension to the dish....cooking is kind of a hobby for me...always enjoyed eating as a family unit and am trying to instill this with my wife and kids....hate it when the whole family (all five) can't sit down for at least one meal...bon appetitio
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Alto Mare

Quote from: TARFU on September 08, 2012, 11:34:30 PM
....hate it when the whole family (all five) can't sit down for at least one meal...bon appetitio
I like that Tarfu.
At my house it's the only way I will have it, all around the table every night. well almost, my daugther is off to college on her second year :(
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Makule

QuoteThere are a few brands of Soy sauce made in the Philippines. The most common imported into the States are Datu Puti and Silver Swan.

Will take a look at the Filipino food store.  Should be able to find something here.  Just never heard of it before.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 08, 2012, 11:52:52 PM
....hate it when the whole family (all five) can't sit down for at least one meal...bon appetitio
I like that Tarfu.
At my house it's the only way I will have it, all around the table every night. well almost, my daugther is off to college on her second year :(

Right on guys.  That's the way I grew up.  Sat down as a family every evening.   Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

QuoteRight on guys. That's the way I grew up. Sat down as a family every evening.
x2 - good call Dominick.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 08, 2012, 11:52:52 PM
I like that Tarfu.

Ditto...   

That was the only way to get food at our house as kids...
The older generations didnt have all the fast food or credit card stuff going on.
Food meant Home!!! Home meant Family....  :-)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!