Bonding Stainless Steel to Graphite reel Frame (Has anyone had real success)

Started by SharkFisher, September 10, 2012, 06:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharkFisher

I have just made some very nice stainless steel adjustable magnet (spool drag) assemblies. The problem is one last thing is needed, I need to bond a piece of metal to the graphite body. With some research, and trial and error, I've learned that most epoxies and glues will not hold the way I need it to. I have called Loctite and S-bond and may purchase the S-bond product. Usless someone on here has successfully done this. I've also ordered an Araldite epoxy kit to try out, they use this frequently on graphite golf club shafts, what will stick to graphite? ???

Irish Jigger

The Araldite epoxy kit may work. You could drill and countersink some holes in the metal piece to "key" the cured epoxy.

Reinaard van der Vossen

Thereare new types of araldite which are specially made for bonding metals to plastic. The can resist 180 kg/cm^2 and are salt water resistent.

I've looked them up when I wanted to bond a Duplon/Eva grip to aan aluminium shaft for a heavy gaf. There should be something similar for your application. I use an European consumer brand but I'm sure that you can get similar from Loctite or an US brand

conchydong

Since it is not really a "structural" bond where super high strength is needed, I would use a little 3M 5200 adhesive sealant. It sticks to almost everything, especially my fingers.

Keta

Quote from: conchydong on September 10, 2012, 02:19:34 PM
I would use a little 3M 5200 adhesive sealant. It sticks to almost everything, especially my fingers.

X2 but I prefer 4200 when I think there is a chance I will want to remove the part in the future.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

LTM

JB Weld was my first thought as well. I also have a CA (super glue) named "MX Bon 105". I got this years ago and may still be available.

Leo