How tight is to tight?

Started by Bunnlevel Sharker, September 10, 2012, 10:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunnlevel Sharker

i have been talking to George4741 about the 1+7 drag stack for the 9/0 and he advised me not to crank it down to tight. How tight is to tight? Normally i just lock down my drag while the reel is in freespool then put it in gear and do the running man then loosen the drag accordingly. It will be spooled with 600 yds of 130 jb and then a topshot of 80 to 100lb mono, maybe even a 200 or 250lb braid topper in the future
Grayson Lanier

alantani

everyone here is pushing these reels to the limit.  gears will start to wear, frames may torque or dogs may fail.  your reel may have gears that are not the proper distance apart, or loose side plate screws, or a dog with a burr and that's where your reel will fail. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Dot hey make a stainless steel gear set for this reel cause as soon as the hook is set the drag gets dropped to about 20 pounds. And what do you mean by frames torqing? I am getting an accu frame.
Grayson Lanier

saltydog

Yes electramate electric fishing reels carry ss gear sleeves on there site,they are $55.00 and the part number you need from them is 98-114SS fits Penn 114,114H, 114HL, 114HLW 6/0 and 115L 9/0

They also have these

98-320SS Fits Penn 320 GT2, 330 GTi, 330 GT2, 113H 4/0

98-116SS fits Penn 116 12/0

98-117SS fits Penn 117 14/0

http://launchmm.com/electramateshop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=44

Hope this helps.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

alantani

wow!  $55?  i'm selling them for $30..... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

saltydog

Yup that's what they have posted on there site.Thought it was a little pricey.I got one for my 12/0 and it was only 32.00.Guess there price structure went up.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

George4741

The Penn website lists the 115 at 23.5lb max drag.  For safety and reliability reasons, I understand their engineers want to stay on the conservative side, but I think the reel is overbuilt and could handle a little more drag.  How much, who knows?  On the other hand, they list the 113L2 at 19lb max drag. ??? :o  I think this figure is VERY optimistic.  With it's skinny brass alloy gear sleeve and smallish main gear, I don't think any of us would want to push our 113 that hard.  I expect catastrophic failure. 

I have benched my own 114H and 115 at over 40lb with a 1+7 drag, although it was just a test to see how much they are capable of.  I wouldn't want to do that again, and certainly not for an extended length of time, for fear I would break something.  I will probably never be able to push my 114H and 115 to the limit, as I only occasionally fish for school albacore.  However, I wouldn't hesitate to set the drags to a maximum of 30lb on my Tib framed 114H.

Thoughts, anyone?         
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

I'd like to do a destructive test but when dealing with parts that are hard to come by keeps me from doing so.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Don't depend on what manufacturers are putting out there George. Some are actually claiming thet their spinners could get over 60lb and a 9/0 only gets 23 lb...give me a break. :-\
Having the double dog will also help keeping the pressure balanced on the sleeve and adding a full frame, I don't see any issues pushing the 9/0 to 30lb. I also believe that the 113H tank can be pushed to 25lb and the 114h close to the 9/0. I'm sure you will hear different from the " real pros " here, this is just what I believe.
Don't forget, the 9/0 has some 1000lb fish under its belt from the past and that was before the drag upgrade from you ;) and all of the other good stuff 
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

George4741

Sal, my thoughts are similar to yours.  Even though our reels are capable of much greater drag pressures, it takes some discipline to not tighten it down all the way. 

BTW, do you-all think a 1+7 drag will run cooler than a 1+5 drag, given the same drag setting?  I wonder....

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on September 10, 2012, 10:41:33 PM
Normally i just lock down my drag while the reel is in freespool then put it in gear and do the running man then loosen the drag accordingly.

It would be interesting to see Grayson do his "running man" thing. ;D  Seriously though, Grayson, you be sure to give us a report on how your 9/0 performs on the big ones. 
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Quote from: George4741 on September 11, 2012, 10:54:22 PM
Sal, my thoughts are similar to yours.  Even though our reels are capable of much greater drag pressures, it takes some discipline to not tighten it down all the way. 

BTW, do you-all think a 1+7 drag will run cooler than a 1+5 drag, given the same drag setting?  I wonder....

George, I didn't get to the 1+7 yet but I will definitely do it to my 9/0.
I have seen a shark smoke a 16/0, there was actual smoke coming from the drags, if that reel had greased carbon washers, that shark could have been landed. As for the 1+7, yes I believe that it would run cooler than the 1+5, less effort to get to the same setting,  but I didn't try it yet.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.