Penn 4/0 spool

Started by Jaredbolen, September 12, 2012, 02:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaredbolen

I have a 4/0 and the spool is slightly wider than my other 4/0s. Thus it binds slightly under pressure and there is a gap around the edge. Any idea why? Should I just buy a new spool or could the reel be missing a part(spacer). Anyone have an extra spool in good shape for sale?  Thanks guys

Bryan Young

It's quite possible that you spool, if 3 piece, has spread apart and you will need a new spool. Hopefully some one can sell you a good used one.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jaredbolen

Thanks Bryan. I thought that too. It was an eBay purchase and it's in nice shape otherwise. I'll wait and see if anyone has a nice one to sell

Dominick

Bryan:  Can they be squeezed in a vise to get them back together? 

Jared, I would drill some holes in a couple of pieces of 2x4 wood to take the shaft.  Then I would put the spool in a vise, measure it and put it under pressure.  then take a torch and heat it slowly and add some pressure.  You have nothing to lose.  If you do not want to experiment with the spool send it to me and let me play around with it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Good deal Dominick. Then you can braze it once you get it back so it doesn't separate.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Dominick, once it spreads it will do it easier the second time. I tryed to sweeze it back once, it was a 6/0, no luck. Don't waste your time on this one, spool needs to be square and true...easier said than done :-\.
Btw, Akfish mentioned that he has only seen it happen on smaller reels, I've only seen it happen on larger reel. What this tells us is that it could happen to all reels with a 3-piece spool.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I've seen several heavy cast 349 spools spread by mono line being spooled on them too tight when fighting large halibut.

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 12, 2012, 10:14:09 AM
Dominick, once it spreads it will do it easier the second time. I tryed to sweeze it back once, it was a 6/0, no luck.

I have a 10 ton press and I've successfully "fixed" 2 349 spools but was concerned about metal fatigue. I'll look into retempering bronze and see if the hardness can be restored without destroying the chrome.

Fill your reels with Dacron or Spectra "backing" and only use the amount of mono you need to avoid damaging old, expencive and irreplaceable spools.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Makule

I'm totally with both Sal and Lee on this.  Don't waste your time trying to salvage old 3-piece spools, particularly if you can get a replacement at a reasonable price.  Fiddling with those old spools will eventually cost you much more money and time and effort, and will likely fail anyway, when subjected to the high stresses/pressures of mono lines.  Even the braid lines, wound on tight when fighting a very large fish, are enough to break those weaker spools (I speak from experience).

If you have time and money to burn, and want a learning experience, go for it and try a repair.  Otherwise, just do it a simpler way and replace the spool.

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Dominick

I'd still like to play with it.  So instead of throwing it away, send it and I will pay shipping.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.