metanium mg7 problem

Started by cahbuzz, September 12, 2012, 12:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cahbuzz

i have a problem with my metanium mg7 baitcasting reel. it comes when i retrieve it. it sounds like 'Rrrrrrrr', just like when you make 'rrrrr' with your tongue and it vibrating.
my friend told me that the problem came from the main gear. when i saw some fishing forums, they told so.
when i came to some authorized store which the name in the shimano.com, they told me that the problem come from the bearing near the pinion gear.  ::)

so, is the problem from the gear or the bearing? and where do i get it?
how do i fix it?
thx people.

alantani

if you can pull the bearing, you will be able to see quickly if the bearing is corroded. also visually inspect the main gear for damage.  if so, replace both the main and pinion gears. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

cahbuzz

thank you mr. alantani....
but, do you have a recommendation, where can i find those things, both of gear.

alantani

It's tough because you are so far away.  I haven't opened up one of these reels.  Any one?

cahbuzz

i already seen the gear mr. alantani...

at the gear, there are dark area (check beside my thumb)...which is the main gear-pinion gear will meet...i dont know what to say, is this my reel problem or its normal?

alantani

It's a little hard to tell from the photo, but the gear looks fine.   If the bearings are good,then it HAS to be a worn gear set.  There is nothing else that it could be.

Nessie Hunter

IM going to take a walk on the wild side here..!!!!

Check the Yoke that holds the Pinion Gear.
If it wears, it can cause the Pinion to get out of line and vibrate and cause noise etc.
Some of the Nylon/plastic ones wear very fast....  ????? 
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

cahbuzz

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on September 16, 2012, 06:11:20 PM
IM going to take a walk on the wild side here..!!!!

Check the Yoke that holds the Pinion Gear.
If it wears, it can cause the Pinion to get out of line and vibrate and cause noise etc.
Some of the Nylon/plastic ones wear very fast....  ????? 

so, nessie which is yoke in this picture?

@mr. alantani: i've already order the boca bearing for the bearing near the pinion and main gear...i hope this problem will end soon. T_T

redsetta

G'day cb,
It's #143, as shown in the pic below.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Nessie Hunter

Ditto..  #143    Probably Nylon/plastic also...

They will also get brittle from heat & time.   
May have cracked or just worn out...
May be hard to see wear also...   
Check for rub marks on back/inner side of it.
Where the gear teeth could have rubbed..
And on the inside of the Pinion Gear where shaft may have rubbed....

Its a shot in the dark, not my first guess (but the other were covered).
That gear looks fine ???   Bearing would be First choice.....

But I do the Cheapest to most Expensive when it comes to the Process of elimination...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

cahbuzz

thx nessie, red setta, and mr. alantani...i will get the new bearing for my metanium

Pro Reel

It might be the pinion bearing, but my bet will be the pinion gear or the the AR clutch. or a liitle of all 3. The main gear is an alloy they call duraluminum. Most of the time I see all the wear on the brass pinion gear with these reels. I stiil like to replace the set of main and pinion though. The pinion bearing can cause a rough retrieve feel, but it's not quite as much of a coffee grinder feel as more of a slight buzzing feel. The AR clutch can easily cause this as the sleeve can get pits from rust and the rollers will tick against the pits. The roolers can have pits also. Sometimes, as i said earlier. it's a cobo of all thse things that makes the rough feel, Change one and it gets a little better.