Avet newbie question

Started by skered53, September 12, 2012, 11:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skered53

On my star drag reels I always back the drag off for storage,  with an Avet, do I need to do so, or just set the lever to free ?  I've only had the reel for a few week ( 2 Salmon trips ) and I've been setting the strike to 8 lbs the night before.  I found that backing the knob off 12 clicks gets me to freespool  in bait setting and part way to strike.  Reel is currently backed off and I keep the spool from turning by using a rubber band over the reel and touching the spool/line.   Am I over thinking all this ?
Another newbie question,  when the retailer was showing me the reel, he would adjust the knob when the lever was in strike position, maual says this can damage adjustment mechanism, however, when i set 6 lb.s of drag at strike,  i see an increase to nearly 8 lb at full position,  I figure she is working as advertized.
BTW, both trips resulted in bright Chinook hooked and boated ( and eaten).
Thanks.

Bryan Young

Welcome Skered53.  Glad you can join us.

Washing the reel, set the lever to strike position.  this should keep water out.

Once the reel is dry, set the clicker and move the lever to free spool or use the rubber band as you are doing.

Adjusting drag settings should be done in free spool ONLY!  The manual is correct.

Hope this helps.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

skered53

Thanks Bryan, Glad to be here.  So you do not back off on the adj knob for storage ?,  set it FREE and be done ??

Bryan Young

You don't need to back off the adjustment knob. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

skered53

Got it,  Many Thanks.

Here's my Chinook from labour day.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Newbie???  Great catch. From shore?  I gotta try that from shore.

skered53

She was caught from anchor in the Columbia river, Near Rainer Oregon,   52 feet of water, 20 oz, of lead to keep it on the bottom,  7 foot drop line to 3 way spreader,  6 feet of leader to a wobbler.   It is possible to catch these from the bank.