Penn Anniversary 114HL a few questions

Started by Cone, September 13, 2012, 02:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cone

I picked up what I think is an anniversary 114HL. It has the red spool, asbestos 3 drag stack, Stainless gears, maroon sideplates with drags accessible from the right side.and the wide spacer bars in place of the bottom four posts. the reel looks mint except for the spacer bars which show some corrosion and the right outer ring that is starting to crack at one screw hole approx 1mm long. The spool looks brand new.
      I intend on upgrading the drags to carbon fiber, putting in a ss gear sleeve and installing double dogs. Later I may put a Tiburon or JVarience frame on it.
      Should I pull the bearings from the bearing caps to relube them? Also the red spool is not important to me and I thought Sal might want to work up a trade for it. ( If his wife approves of course.) Bob

"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Makule

QuoteShould I pull the bearings from the bearing caps to relube them?

Never hurts to do a good job, but before trying that, see if you can determine whether the bearings are worn.  Spin the spool (fairly high speed) and listen for any "rumbling".  Also, apply moderate to heavy pressure on the spool and rotate it slowly.  Feel for any roughness as it turns.  If noisy or rough, may be good to change.  If no problems, they can be just cleaned and re-lubed.

Being the lazy guy that I am, I've cleaned BB by soaking in a good solvent and then flushing with brake cleaner with the nozzle from the spray can inside the hole.  Flush until there aren't any filings or old grease/lube coming out.  Dry and spin.  Should spin freely, but maybe slight noise.  Lube with TS or whatever you prefer.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Cone on September 13, 2012, 02:43:14 AM
I picked up what I think is an anniversary 114HL. It has the red spool, asbestos 3 drag stack, Stainless gears, maroon sideplates with drags accessible from the right side.and the wide spacer bars in place of the bottom four posts. the reel looks mint except for the spacer bars which show some corrosion and the right outer ring that is starting to crack at one screw hole approx 1mm long. The spool looks brand new.
      I intend on upgrading the drags to carbon fiber, putting in a ss gear sleeve and installing double dogs. Later I may put a Tiburon or JVarience frame on it.
      Should I pull the bearings from the bearing caps to relube them? Also the red spool is not important to me and I thought Sal might want to work up a trade for it. ( If his wife approves of course.) Bob

;D ;D. Bob, what goes around comes around ;).
That spool would be nice, but I do not have an aluminum spool for your reel, all I have are brass spools in excellent shape.
If you have something else in mind that we could trade, let me know. i won't be able to buy it at the moment...tight budget!
Thanks for thinking of me, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

I pulled and cleaned relubed the bearingsn on my two 114H's. A couple were tough to get out. Three bearings are fine but I'll need to replace one. I knew you collected these spools Sal. I thought you might have another aluminum spool to trade. If you get one let me know If the reel is together by then I'm willing to still swap it. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD