remove level wind on an abu 6501

Started by beachbob, September 13, 2012, 01:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Go get them Beachbum....I mean Beachbob. Hope you have a great day out there.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

beachbob

revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

day0ne

Quote from: beachbob on September 14, 2012, 09:48:21 AM
Quote from: day0ne on September 14, 2012, 05:36:16 AM
... If you are going all out, you can replace the gear in the left side plate with a bushing. It is supposed to cut wind resistance from the gear, allowing longer casts.

sorry, i don't follow.  do you mean to leave in the large gear that the spool drives and remove the smaller gear that drives the pawl worm?

The bushing replaces the gear on the spool.

http://www.blakdogtackle.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_56&products_id=223

http://www.blakdogtackle.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_56&products_id=753

You remove them all, however, if you don't replace the gear on the spool with something, you can't adjust it. Either leave the gear on the spool or replace it with a bushing or "bullet" I see you didn't cut the top bar, making the reel truly topless (and easier to cast). They make inserts or studs to replace the top bar so you can screw the side covers on. Another reason I use CT frames. All the work is already done. Just change the frame and remove the gears
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

beachbob

Quote from: day0ne on September 15, 2012, 06:16:27 AM
Quote from: beachbob on September 14, 2012, 09:48:21 AM
Quote from: day0ne on September 14, 2012, 05:36:16 AM
... If you are going all out, you can replace the gear in the left side plate with a bushing. It is supposed to cut wind resistance from the gear, allowing longer casts.

sorry, i don't follow.  do you mean to leave in the large gear that the spool drives and remove the smaller gear that drives the pawl worm?

The bushing replaces the gear on the spool.

http://www.blakdogtackle.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_56&products_id=223

http://www.blakdogtackle.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_56&products_id=753

You remove them all, however, if you don't replace the gear on the spool with something, you can't adjust it. Either leave the gear on the spool or replace it with a bushing or "bullet" I see you didn't cut the top bar, making the reel truly topless (and easier to cast). They make inserts or studs to replace the top bar so you can screw the side covers on. Another reason I use CT frames. All the work is already done. Just change the frame and remove the gears

it's all a test of sorts.  if i like the "ct style" abu, i'll reverse the mod and get a blue yonder.  :D
revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

beachbob

just back from a quick test workout with the ct modded reel and 11' predator rod.  3oz pyramid sinker inside a tennis ball had no problem hitting 90+ yards.  piece of cake to toss and retrieve.  winner!  time to head out to the island.  :)

beachbob

this conversion has worked out so well i've taken it to the next step ...

beachbob

... loving a non-lw on the beach ... and now onto the "next step" ... ;D

Alto Mare

You most be from the Eastern side of the coast Bob. I hea of a lot of guys removing the levelwind on their reels, not only for casting, also for boat reels. Saltwater and levelwind don't get along very well :-\.
Nice modification you did there.

Nice Avet, what are your plants on that one?
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

beachbob

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 17, 2012, 12:56:54 PM
You most be from the Eastern part of the state Bob. I hea of a lot of guys removing the levelwind on their reels, not only for casting, also for boat reels. Saltwater and levelwind don't get along very well :-\.
Nice modification you did there.

Nice Avet, what are your plants on that one?
Sal

for salt lures off the beach i mostly use a level wind abu, 6501 or 5501 - never ever had a problem in decades of using those reels.  always use mono for plugging, 12# to 17#.  i dunk 'em down after every session, and do a full tear down, clean and lube every winter.  the lw is a godsend for making many hundreds of casts in a fishing session.  you sacrifice a bit of distance with the lw, but not enuf for it to be a problem most of the time.  for bait to reach my fishing spot's outer sandbar at a high tide, the lw reels just don't cut it for me, and bottom fishing doesn't require a fraction of the casts that plugging does. 

this modded abu 6501 w/20# fireline worked great yesterday at the new york jones west end beaches, the tide was high when i got there and i plunked the bait right over the bar, about 90 yards out.  only no fish caught - action along the beach was super slow for everyone, just a few shorts and a robin were all i saw caught.  the  new sx mc will get a respool of 20# or 30# fireline and we'll see how it goes next weekend.  the water is finally starting to cool down and that should pick up the fishing.  hopefully!

Alto Mare

Glad to hear that lw is working out for you Bob, I might have to breack down and get me one of those Abu, haven't heard nothing but good things about it around here. I still fish mono on my ss spinners, how's that fireline? A few have recommended it to me but didn't try it yet.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

used a 50# berkley fireline, was not happy with it...it snapped with less than 10 #s drag...

Keta

Quote from: Mel B on September 17, 2012, 04:47:38 PM
used a 50# berkley fireline, was not happy with it...it snapped with less than 10 #s drag...

I prefer uncoated spectra (JB or Izor) for most uses but Power Pro isn't bad for a coated line.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

beachbob

never had a problem in 3 years of 20# fireline use.  i have it on 4 abu reels.  i actually prefer it over power pro and that other spectra stuff.  fireline is fused, not braided.