remove level wind on an abu 6501

Started by beachbob, September 13, 2012, 01:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beachbob

i have 7 abu swede reels and i want to remove the level wind on one of the older 6501 c3 reels and use it for maximum casting distance in the surf.  anyone done this to an abu reel and any tips?
revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

Mooki

I think I remember seeing it done, Blakdog has parts if my memory serves me correct. Possibly Mike's as well.
You'll want a CT conversion bar.
Something like 40 BCs, mostly ABU. Still counting upwards...

rodent

you may want to try www.hookless.com. they may have exactly what you want to do.  good luck

alantani

clean out all the levelwind parts with carb or brake cleaner, then dip in TSI 301, then take it fishing and see if you still think you need to remove the levelwind assembly,  chances are you will not.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

beachbob

Quote from: alantani on September 13, 2012, 07:18:31 PM
clean out all the levelwind parts with carb or brake cleaner, then dip in TSI 301, then take it fishing and see if you still think you need to remove the levelwind assembly,  chances are you will not.   ;D

been there, done that.  thanx to you i got turned on to tsi301 and use it on all my reels.  i need to hit about 100yds with 3nbait and right now barely hit 80 yards.  would like to see if removing the lw gearing will add about 20yds to the toss.  i spoke with jerry @ hookless and he advised just to remove the lw gear and guide, tape over the worm gear post, see how she goes.  that's the plan, so far.  thanx everyone!
revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

Fish-aholic

Quote from: beachbob on September 13, 2012, 09:08:17 PM
been there, done that.  thanx to you i got turned on to tsi301 and use it on all my reels.  i need to hit about 100yds with 3nbait and right now barely hit 80 yards.  would like to see if removing the lw gearing will add about 20yds to the toss.  i spoke with jerry @ hookless and he advised just to remove the lw gear and guide, tape over the worm gear post, see how she goes.  that's the plan, so far.  thanx everyone!

Hi Bob,

Removing the LW assembly will no doubt add the extra yards you are wanting, though, I would suggest replacing the removed worm gear post with a conversion bar. Both the worm gear post and conversion bar aid in supporting the cage from warping. Warping happens due to the strains the cage is put under when power casting - or at times when reeling in something sizeable is attached to your end tackle. When the cage does warp, the lip on both the cage and the spool can come into contact. When this happens, the reel becomes problematic to function/operate smoothly. A conversion bar will keep it all nicely aligned and, more importantly, keep your reel issue free  ;)

beachbob

Quote from: Fish-aholic on September 13, 2012, 11:03:42 PM
Quote from: beachbob on September 13, 2012, 09:08:17 PM
been there, done that.  thanx to you i got turned on to tsi301 and use it on all my reels.  i need to hit about 100yds with 3nbait and right now barely hit 80 yards.  would like to see if removing the lw gearing will add about 20yds to the toss.  i spoke with jerry @ hookless and he advised just to remove the lw gear and guide, tape over the worm gear post, see how she goes.  that's the plan, so far.  thanx everyone!

Hi Bob,

Removing the LW assembly will no doubt add the extra yards you are wanting, though, I would suggest replacing the removed worm gear post with a conversion bar. Both the worm gear post and conversion bar aid in supporting the cage from warping. Warping happens due to the strains the cage is put under when power casting - or at times when reeling in something sizeable is attached to your end tackle. When the cage does warp, the lip on both the cage and the spool can come into contact. When this happens, the reel becomes problematic to function/operate smoothly. A conversion bar will keep it all nicely aligned and, more importantly, keep your reel issue free  ;)

initially, to see if this will work well for me, i'll just remove the gear and pawl.  it it works well, i'll replace the worm gear/post with the ct conversion bar and pull out the top bar for more thumb room.

Fish-aholic

Quote from: beachbob on September 14, 2012, 12:02:43 AMinitially, to see if this will work well for me, i'll just remove the gear and pawl.  it it works well, i'll replace the worm gear/post with the ct conversion bar and pull out the top bar for more thumb room.

I misconstrued your earlier post. I thought you was going to remove the worm gear post and tape over the holes left behind. Sorry about that! 

If you are going to be casting long range, that top bar does get in the way of a good thumb grip. A dremel can sort that out  ;)

day0ne

I usually replace the frame with a CT frame or an aluminum frame if I find a good deal on one. A bit more expensive, but looks better to me, especally the flat bar frame. If you are going all out, you can replace the gear in the left side plate with a bushing. It is supposed to cut wind resistance from the gear, allowing longer casts.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bryan Young

I though Abu has a surf casting version of the 6500 without a level guide?  Or was it a 7000?  If so, that may be the way to go.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

beachbob

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 14, 2012, 06:51:51 AM
I though Abu has a surf casting version of the 6500 without a level guide?  Or was it a 7000?  If so, that may be the way to go.

yep, they do.  but i don't need yet another abu i already have a gaggle of 65/66/55/56 flavors already, and the conversion is easy on many levels. 

beachbob

Quote from: day0ne on September 14, 2012, 05:36:16 AM
... If you are going all out, you can replace the gear in the left side plate with a bushing. It is supposed to cut wind resistance from the gear, allowing longer casts.

sorry, i don't follow.  do you mean to leave in the large gear that the spool drives and remove the smaller gear that drives the pawl worm?

beachbob

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

beachbob

locked on my fave rod (11' cabelas predator) and ready to hit the beach tomorrow for testing!