Tiagra 12, Service, New Baker Frame & Tiburon Handle upgrades..

Started by Nessie Hunter, September 15, 2012, 11:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nessie Hunter

Murphy's law prevails..
Everything that could go wrong Did... LOL
Spent the better part of the day doing this Reel and Changing out the frame to a new Baker topless Frame.  
New Tiburon T-Bar handle also..
I must have opened this reel 20 times!!!  LOL

Othan "O" Co-Owner of Pinos Pangas Said he likes the Topless Baker frame and its much lighter also.
I dug out my Rapala Digi fish scale and weighed them.  
Baker 5 oz.
Tiagra 7 oz.
Not much diff, I could just feel the difference while holding one in each hand...

OK here we go.............................

Here is the Reel, the New Frame and Tiburon Handle, Ready?

Starting by taking off the Reel foot on new frame to grease etc.

This was greased fairly well (even the screws).  
Dont know what they used so cleaned it off and add my Marine grease

The Reel seat is dove-tailed, so it slides in and out of the recess.  Good idea!!!
Here I am Greasing the rod clamp screws well and installing them..

Getting the Tiburon T-Bar ready by adding some TSI to the handle knob..
Will grease contact points also (Handle blank to reel areas).

Now I am ready to take off the left side plate..  

Note the Baker Lugs are different then the Shimano Tiagra.
Two extra screws are in the Baker Frame kit.  2 shorter ones for the screws that go in where the Topless frame is missing the cross bar..   The frame is also more narrow then the stock one, So long Screws here can go right through the frame into the Spool area..
Dont ask how I know this!!!!   I did get one to dimple, so be careful...

Grease it up, oil (TSI 321) the Bearing...  

Now on to the Spool assembly itself...  This one just pulls out, the larger ones are connected via the Drag Set Knob...

The Drag assembly is on the Left side....
It seems to depend on year of manufacture which side it is on, Have seen it on Left of larger reels also (older models)..

This is the right (handle) side of reel, the clicker plate..

Now we are going to take apart the Spool Assembly, Shaft, Bellville washers, Bearings & drag.

See that Shaft Pin to left side..  That goes into the Drag plate.  (Visible in next pic)
This little bugger almost made me nutz.  It kept coming out and not going into the slot.
Of course it was doing this as I got the reel almost all the way assembled..
I Had a large dab of grease in the Shaft Pin Hole, this holds them in place.  Didnt work very well today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some big globs of Cals Drag Grease just to show where it goes.  
I spread this out on both sides of Drag Washer and all over very lightly on the Plate and everything connected..
I use the Cals here as I dont want the other MArine Grease to Migrate into the drag washer/plate area..   Just a very light coat....

Lets set the Spool and left side plate aside while I get into the Frame & Right side..

Aha the frame is off..  Now I can compare this to the Baker Frame and see what Im in for??
Few small differences, but not much.  The tolerances are a lot tighter!!!!
If the side plates don't go 'exactly' straight onto the frame it jams, cocked sideways!!!

Moving right along..  Lets take off the handle and start out dis-assembly of the Gear box and Right side Etc... Dont forget we are changing out this handle also!!

This is the Multi tool I got from Dawn at Smoothdrags.com.  
Man this thing has paid for itself a hundred times over.....  

Some dis-assembly and cleaning up of left side, Gears and Pinion Bearing.
Compare the New T-Bar to the stock Tiagra handle.  Nice... :-)

The Pinion Bearing,  Easy out this time...
This is the only bearing I am packing.  Remember I used TSI 321 in the Spool bearings..
3 bearings in spool, 1 bearing at Pinion gear/Shaft.  Thats it...  

A real short Vid clip of the Alan Tani Bearing packer in action..
This was not easy, trying to film and hold everything, the Camera was slippery as heck & covered in grease by now..  LOL  "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyfw-Ik3AZE&feature=youtu.be

We can now start putting things back together..  
So I can find out if this is all going to fit in the new Frame??????

Here we go..
3 basic pieces, Frame, Spool assembly with left side plate and Right side (Handle)..

All done.   Didnt get any pics during this assembly.   I had some issues with things fitting and ended up taking he reel apart about 5 or 6 times (at least).
Had to get up & walk away several times... :-/
It was just little stuff. by now I was tired and frustration set in.  

Here is a short clip of the Free-spool it is getting with Oiled Spool Bearings..
They can probably throw a Sardania 100 ft wit it....
tossing bait on the slide will be awesome for the big fishies!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a76vl9Xsv9Y&feature=youtu.be
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

redsetta

Nice work Frank.
It's a great-looking reel - first 12 I've seen.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

Dominick

Right on Frank.  It was kind of interesting having that short video on the end.  Like a bunch of other reel heads on this site I watched the reel spin.  Next up a video of a handle turning  ;D.  Yep there is something wrong with us.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

reelgood

Nice work, do you happen to have an actual final weight for the modified reel?
Thanks!

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: reelgood on September 16, 2012, 02:51:58 PM
Nice work, do you happen to have an actual final weight for the modified reel?
Thanks!

I can get that right now. Hold on a second.......................

With a spool full of line I am getting 2 lb 4 oz on the Digi fish scale... Not a light reel by any means, but a TANK & Solid as a rock.....

Quote from: Pescachaser on September 16, 2012, 01:36:56 AM
Right on Frank. 
Next up a video of a handle turning  ;D.  Yep there is something wrong with us.  Dominick

LMAO.. I agree, the little things that we hold so precious are kind of silly at times!!
I Like watching shiny things spin!!!!   
Maybe I should try to count the Toothpicks from a dropped box full (Rain Man)...
ROTFLMAO......  ;D ;D

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!