TLD 5 Spool

Started by humbro, September 17, 2012, 04:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbro

Hi, was just spooling up with some 8lb mono and heard a loud crack and every thing froze!!!

A very sad moment for a 20 something year old reel.

Any idea on where a new spool might be located??

Thanks

Bryan Young

Humbro,

Welcome, and sorry to hear of your busted reel.  Before ordering a new spool, you my want to take the right side plate off and inspect the spool just to be sure.

And if it is the spool (or any other parts), I'd probably call Shimano first, then some of their recommended reel service centers.  I would also recommend Save-On Tackle in Santa Fe Springs at (562) 864-2911.  They seem to have parts that are hard to find.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

day0ne

You can't order a new spool. They have been out of production for a long time. I wish you luck on finding one somewhere. If you strike out and want to sell the reel (or just the frame), PM me with a price. I have been looking for a frame for 2 yrs.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

wallacewt

did you you have the drag up tight and pushed the drag lever to far?

day0ne

Quote from: wallacewt on September 17, 2012, 11:50:53 PM
did you you have the drag up tight and pushed the drag lever to far?

No, someone drilled out the spot the clicker button goes to put in a mag casting device. At least I think that is why there is a hole there. Anyway, I haven't been able to put the clicker back in
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

humbro

Yeah I know is out of productions that's why I'm asking here.
The drag was pushed up when I was loading the line but it's only 8lb mono and the drag pressure actualy compresses the spool not pulls it apart!
Any how the spool is completely split in two!! Will try and post a pic later.

humbro

Panama

Send the whole thing to Shimano. They will replace/fix. If I am not mistaking they will do it for free.
Get on the water, Man!!!

humbro

That would be nice!!  But it is over 20yrs old and not in production :-(

Bryan Young

Can't hurt.  Shimano may be able to find the spool easier than you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Panama

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 19, 2012, 03:53:10 PM
Can't hurt.  Shimano may be able to find the spool easier than you.
I came across one about 7 months ago and a buddy asked me pick it up for him. He took it to Shimano and they replaced it.  I don't remember if it was with the exact same reel or a more expensive one.  Give them a call....you have nothing to lose!

Get on the water, Man!!!

alantani

heart breaking!  it might almost be worth finding a guy that can do tig welding for aluminum and getting it welded back together.......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

humbro

Actually Aliumium fabrication is what I do.  But I know this isnt repairable with welding  :(

Best be will probably be to take the dimensions and machine a new spool.

alantani

if you can do that, maybe knock out a few extra while you are at it!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!