Thank you guys

Started by Jaredbolen, September 19, 2012, 02:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaredbolen

As I am pretty new to the site, I'm sure I'm putting this post in the wrong place but... Just wanted to thank all you guys and especially Bryan Young, for all your help. I've been working on rebuilding a penn 113 as some of you know. It was my first rebuild. It came to me off of a quick thoughtless bid on eBay 20$. Lesson learned. Having a spread spool. I replaced it with a used one. 17$. Then it had alot of play in the side to side movement of the spool. New bridge and sleeve 13$. Drag washer were torn and wore out 12$. So. I have 50 bucks into it. Yeah I know I could have bought a better one for that much. But I'm def hooked on rebuilding these things now and I think I did a pretty good job with all of your help. So thanks again guys. The reel is solid and smooth. I just need a larger handle for it and it's going grouper fishing w me this weekend.

Ps Im getting about 18 pounds off drag out of it. Sound right?

redsetta

Good work Jared - well done.
No doubt the first of many ;) ;D
18lbs is plenty for a standard 113 (pushing it any harder may damage the gears).
Good luck with the grouper trip.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

Awe Jared, I'm glad I could help. Glad it's working out. Now, gotta get out and try it out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

George4741

Quote from: Jaredbolen on September 19, 2012, 02:44:55 AM
It came to me off of a quick thoughtless bid on eBay 20$. Lesson learned. Having a spread spool. I replaced it with a used one. 17$. Then it had alot of play in the side to side movement of the spool. New bridge and sleeve 13$. Drag washer were torn and wore out 12$. So. I have 50 bucks into it. Yeah I know I could have bought a better one for that much.

Yeah, that happens to a lot of us. ;D  For example, I have close to $100 in my narrowed black 113 Senator.  I could get by with one unmodified jigmaster for all of my deep sea fishing.  But think about how boring that would be.  Welcome to the forum.

Quote from: Jaredbolen on September 19, 2012, 02:44:55 AM
Ps Im getting about 18 pounds off drag out of it. Sound right?

That is too much.  You will round off the brass gear sleeve and may strip the gears.  Back it off to 8lbs.
 George
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Jaredbolen, did adjusting the left side bushing work for you? We learn along with you here and feed back is important to us.

George is right about the sleeve and gears failing under that kind of pressure of 18lb, however he is being a little on the safe side with 8lb. You should be able to push this particular reel  close to 12lb,  a ss sleeve from Alan would help here.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jaredbolen

After rePlacing the sleeve and bridge everything worked itself out. I didn't realize there was suppose to be a pin holding on the sleeve. Well the old one slid right off. I think this is where I was getting left/ right play in the spool. I've filled it back up with 50 momoi and would only be putting about 12 pounds of drag pressure on it but I'm impressed with the new drags getting 18. Anyone know if there are thinner drag washer spacers as the carbonex washers are quite a bit thicker than the old ones. I'm assuming this swap is how we combat the problem...  And with a purchase of a ss sleeve from Alan, I'd need to somehow press the sleeve pin out? How difficult is that?  Thanks

Keta

Some of us buy 2 or 3 reels to make one, welcome to the asylum.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Jaredbolen on September 19, 2012, 12:03:26 PM
After rePlacing the sleeve and bridge everything worked itself out. I didn't realize there was suppose to be a pin holding on the sleeve. Well the old one slid right off. I think this is where I was getting left/ right play in the spool. I've filled it back up with 50 momoi and would only be putting about 12 pounds of drag pressure on it but I'm impressed with the new drags getting 18. Anyone know if there are thinner drag washer spacers as the carbonex washers are quite a bit thicker than the old ones. I'm assuming this swap is how we combat the problem...  And with a purchase of a ss sleeve from Alan, I'd need to somehow press the sleeve pin out? How difficult is that?  Thanks
I don't believe that the sleeve had anything to do with the sideway movement with the spool, but I'm glad you got it to work.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

The pin should push or tap out easily with a 1/16 inch pin punch.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Bryan Young

I advised Jared that since his bridgeplate and gear sleeve is brand spanking new, forgo the SS gear sleeve at this time.  He will be fine with 10-12# of drag as long as his handle and handle nut is tight at all times.  Then when it wears out, invest in a SS gear sleeve.

No sense spending all sorts of money now when the reel will work fine...unless you are a REEL FINATIC...give him time, he just started...sooner or later, he will be upgrading his reels just for the sake of upgrading his reels. ;)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I'm not twisting anyone's arm here, just giving some good suggestions ;).
I'm sure that he will get there on his own and become a "reel nut"  like the rest of us one day ;D.

alantani

plain black side plat 113, right?  this reel benefits more than any other from a stainless steel gear sleeve.  stay under 8 pounds of drags.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!