Frequency of TSI 301 Use?

Started by HalBrown, September 19, 2012, 05:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HalBrown

I am sure this is buried somewhere in the wealth of terrific information on this great forum, but I have dipped my spool bearings in TSI 301 early this year, so what do I do now?  Is it there forever?  Do I just redip in one year?  Do I clean them with something (what) then redip?
Thanks for the help.

Bryan Young

I would re-clean them with carb cleaner, compressed air, and then redip.  Depending on how often you go fishing, this may be repeated every month to every year (or two).

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

or it you're busy like me, fish with these reels until the slow freespool bugs you too much and then re-service them!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

HalBrown

Thanks for the help.  I have my dipped bearings in a Citica 100DSV I use for a jig n pig.  So far they are going strong after nine months with no additonal attention.

ountida

I have finally clean my bearing, I took the shield off. I test it on the spool and it spool for 11 to 12 sec.  I  was happy with that. Before It was like 5 second.

I got the tsi 301 today.  Should I dip the bearing with it?  I did not oil,grease, or put the shield back on the bearing.

Will this be okay?

alantani

take a moment to pull the bearing, clean it out with carb cleaner or brake cleaner, then gentle compressed air, then dip it in tsi.  you may as well take the time to do it right!

Reelz

I just ordered some and kindo confused how to use it. Do I dip the whole bearing in or just add one drop? I've read other post in here and just wanted to clarify before servicing them.

Bryan Young

with TSI301, just dip the bearing.  The can is quite large, so I use a small jar because sometimes the bearing is too large to fit in the opening of the can and I have dropped one in the can once...it's much easier getting it out of a small jar insead of the can.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Reelz

Ok thanks and after that I can use one drop every 6 months or so?

Reelz

Forgot to ask. How long do I leave it in there? 5 min and let it sit and blow the excess out?

alantani

i just dip it for a second, then let the excess drain. 

Reelz

Ok thanks Alan will do. Should I leave the shields on or off? Its mainly used for saltwater. I've read some people prefer them off so salt crystals doesnt accumulate inside and I've read others leave them on.

alantani

for spool bearings, i leave the shields off.  for non-spool bearings, i pack them with grease. 

JGB

For reference TSI does not break down over time but can become contaminated with use. In general if the bearings slow down it is probably due to contamination from dust, salt, carbon from the drags. Re dipping without first cleaning may work as it allows the contamination to move out of the bearing race. You could test this by flushing with hot water and see if the original performance is restored. when retreating with TSI 301 you will also be cleaning the surfaces with the solvents in TSI 201.

Jim N.