The narrowing kit for the 113H

Started by Fullaphish, September 11, 2009, 12:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fullaphish

Hey alan i keep seeing these Narrowing kits from JVARIANCE for the 113h.  Do you have any experience with this company.  Do they make quality kits?  What would it cost me to have it installed (by you pls). Do i need to go this route? I use my 113s for 40-50lb duty.  Now i was going to send them to you anyway after my 4 day coming up.  I was just going to have you do the steel sleeve, the drag and the handle.  then i came accross this and i started to wonder.

thanks Pat

alantani

the narrowed penn 113h is a great reel.  i think a frame is well worth the cost, but not the side plates.  the higher gear ratio of the 4:1 newell gears for a more classic upgrade is nice, but the newell gears are noisy and not really that necessary.  for the cost of all of that, you can get a penn baja special and have a far superior reel overall.  it you take a look at the baja tutorial, you'll see that i grease the drags, service the bearings and now bolt on a 6/0 kolekar handle grip.  it's a great reel. 

so personally, what i'd do is keep the penn 113h as a loaner or back up, get the baja special, go through it, add a 6/0 grip and you're all set.  you're toughest decision will be 65# braid or 80# hollowcore.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

sorry, duh!  regarding j variance, i know nothing about them.  they are only 20 miles from my house so i should really drive over some day and take a look.  just been so damned busy lately, plus i picked up a bad cold and i've been sick as a dog for the last week. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fullaphish

Thanks for the info .......hope you feel better soon