drive shaft roller bearing for an older 7000C

Started by mhc, September 24, 2012, 09:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Hello. I bought a pair of 2nd hand brass 7000C side plates to replace corroded red aluminium plates. I had previously replaced the bushing in the red plates with a 9x17x5 bearing from the C3 models, however the collar in the brass plate has a 16.5mm opening. I am not having any luck sourcing a 9x16.5x5 bearing - have tried boca and googled the size. Are there any suggestions? Thanks, Michael
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

alantani

i'd get a belt sander and grind down the outside of the bearing until it fits.  it looks like you need to grind down the outside diamater by 0.5mm or 0.019 inches.  that means only 10 thousanths of an inch around, or about the thickness of three pieces of paper.  it may be your only way.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mhc

Thanks Alan, after reading your suggestion, I considered reaming the inside of the collar until a standard bearing will fit although that would remove the chrome plating and expose the inside of the collar to corrosion - think I will try 'trimming' a bearing first - thanks again, Michael

Irish Jigger

It will be difficult getting that bearing concentric. Have you tried Abu for replacement bearings?

mhc

Quote from: Irish Jigger on September 25, 2012, 09:16:39 AM
It will be difficult getting that bearing concentric. Have you tried Abu for replacement bearings?

I have the same concern regarding removing an even amount around the circumference of the bearing, and no, I haven't contacted ABU - the problem is this reel is what Kenny D calls a 'Frankenstein reel' and I am fairly sure the model the side plates are from had a plastic sleeved, keyed metal bush. The reel started life as a standard red 7000 from the mid 80s and I have tinkered with it over the last few years, as you do with ABUs, and 'think' the frame and brake-plate are still original.

Thanks, Michael

Irish Jigger

Michael,I think your original idea to ream the collar bore 17 mm dia is a good one although I would leave this operation to a good machinist to preform. It can be bored out without having to purchase an expensive 17mm reamer.
The fitted bearing will cover the area from where the chrome was removed.

Ken_D

Hi, Folks, I'm a little late to the party. Reaming the sideplate boss will reveal brass, and grinding the bearing is actually easier than reaming out the boss. That is, providing one has either a dremel tool, or a corded drill, and a bolt the same size as the id of the bb.
Or as AT says above, if you have a belt sander, you can use it. still holding the bb at 90, to remove material sorta sideways. the bb will still spin.

Place bolt in bb as a handle, and run outer race at 90  degrees to the abrasive. The bb will spin, and the material will be removed evenly.   Now for the big secret: the SAME bb as used in the 7B and C3, is available from Abu at under 4.00 a copy !!

How is this, you say? Well, some Cardinal spinning reels use the same boundary dimensioned bb on its crank. I'm 750 miles from home at present, in scenic Sherwood Park, Alberta....and when I get back in a couple of days, I'll put in the part number, as the Cardinal uses several different sizes.  

mhc

I used a belt sander to grind the bearing down to size & it was a lot easier than I had expected - It took longer to find my belt sander than it did to grind the bearing. Thanks for all the advice.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!