FISHING HOOK KEEPER

Started by Alto Mare, September 26, 2012, 01:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Dom, the Fenwicks stay home, I use cheaper but good rods for fishing. The ez-keepers help, so the hook doesn't poke an eye out when moving  to different spots. Good tip on the tape ;), later buddy.
sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Sal,
     The keepers are great for hooking up between drifts and such... Just make sure you don't try to leave a squid/spearing combo on the hook when you hook it up... Like my 6 yr old nephew. Was wondering why the cabin stunk for a week? Although it did get me to cleaned the bilges cause I thought that was it ;)

LTM

Guys,

Dom, thanx for that tip on the tape above the hook keeper; excellent.

Sal, if you try to relocate the keeper dont try to roll it, the o-ring will come off. Just remove and relocate (I think this is how I lost some). I included the larger o-ring for a larger blank diameter. Hope it works out for you.

The eye of the keeper is a limitation that Conchy's zip tie overcomes for the most part (cant believe I had some in my jar of zip ties). For the occasions when the Fuji-type keeper's eye is large enough BUT the o-ring config wont work Im going to cut bicycle inner tube into small strip and punch-out eye for the attachment point (where o-ring would normally go). That way I have a flat instead of round piece of rubber and length will not be a concern. Got the idea after seeing the photo in the beginning of the post. Old inner tubes are free and have MANY uses.

Thanx guys,

Leo

broadway

Conchy's zip tie trick is a good one for oversized rods, especially 8)
To elaborate a little on the zip tie idea would be to forgo the hook keeper all together and just use 2 zipties and the rescue tape.
Loop one zip tie in the area where you want your keeper to remain... just don't fasten it down all the way.  Now take the other zip tie (keep it flat) and slip it under the first tie.  Now make a loop with the second zip tie.  Fasten down the first zip tie (around the rod) tightly, and now adjust the hook keeper tie to what ever size you need.  Cut off excess and you should be good to go for under 20 cents.  For protection from scratches use the rescue tape above keeper tie.   Sorry for the lack of computer skills and awesome diagrams like Redsetta supplies with his explanations.
Hope it works for ya,
Dom

Squirmypug

Been using my hook keeper since April, can make any size loop you want.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

broadway

Squirm,
   ...and that actually looks nice, too!
Dom

Squirmypug

The only problem is if you want to take the hook keeper off the grip then it still has marks from being compressed.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Ron Jones

I bet if you whipped some marlin over the grip before the mono it wouldn't compress as much. Good tight wraps by the way.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"