FISHING HOOK KEEPER

Started by Alto Mare, September 26, 2012, 01:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Haven't come across them meself, though a small zip tie and split ring set-up is very common here in NZ.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

bluefish69

The boat that I work on has 15-20% Asian passengers & I haven't seen anything like this with anyone. We do eat good.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Dominick

Sal:  I use them.  They work pretty good keeping the hook out of the way.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

LTM

Hey Sal,

I use a very similar product by Fuji for the past 10+ years with marginal success. I say this due the fact that my product uses an o-ring to secure the hook keeper to the blank vs the design displayed by your thread. The one your showing on ebay seems to be an improvement over mine in the area of the propietary black rubber fastner used to attach to the rod blank. My Fuji brand as stated uses an o-ring which didnt fit the diameter of the blanks near the foregrips. This was easily remmedied by using larger o-rings for larger blank diameters. Next was the size of hooks (wire diameter) to pass thru the eye molded in the hook keeper. This may be modified with heat gun or it may ruin it all together. Aside from the above and most irritating is the fact that with the o-rings in my units they tend to roll and to that extent come off and therefore lose the unit. Ive lost about two. Bottom line, I still have them on some rods with the factory (small thin diameter) o-ring that doesnt seem to roll due to its thinner diameter on my light weight rods (6-12). The ones on most of my 20-30# rods have fallen off/lost. Heres some pics of my Fuji product:

Call me old-school; but any new rods built going forward will have hook-keepers made for them.

Hope this helps,

Leo

Alto Mare

Thanks guys!
Leo, I've seen a few in the past, but never seen the ones that I'm showing and yours. You have a good point about the o ring, maybe I'll give these a try, it's only a couple of dollars. My problem is when I move to different spots with the boat. Some of my rods came  with them on already, but I'm not crazy about them, the eye's too small. I hate to admit, but I still have a bad habit of placing the hook on the reel foot.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

conchydong

Quote from: redsetta on September 26, 2012, 01:32:43 AM
Haven't come across them meself, though a small zip tie and split ring set-up is very common here in NZ.

I just use the zip ties that have the hole for mounting them to a wall with a screw. Very very cheap.

Alto Mare

I didn't try those on my rods but I have a few on the boat holding thing nicely in place. What I've noticed with the zip ties is that they don't last :-\.

LTM

Sal, because of the o-ring issue all reel 20# and up have rod clamps with lanyard/hook option molded in (use the harness lugs on TANKS).

Conchydong, I like the idea of those zip ties. When they break there economical to replace. Great tip, thanks.

Leo

saltydog

Everything suggested here are great ideas just which way to go for each person,they have something similar to that hook keeper at wallyworld,me I just do like Leo and use my harness lugs but those zipties look like a great way to go for lighter tackle.Thanks for sharing.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Alto Mare

Quote from: LTM on September 26, 2012, 12:30:03 PM
Sal, because of the o-ring issue all reel 20# and up have rod clamps with lanyard/hook option molded in (use the harness lugs on TANKS).

Conchydong, I like the idea of those zip ties. When they break there economical to replace. Great tip, thanks.

Leo

Same here Leo, these would be for my spinning gear. You also make a good point about conchy's zip ties, I think i'm going that way.

Bruce

Try to find the better quality nylon zips they will outlast the cheaper plastic by a large margin.

Buzz
Buzz

LTM

Sal,

Tried "Conchy's" zip ties and really like the idea.  The zip-ties rotate around the diameter of the rod with my medium-sized zip (maybe use a smaller zip but also get a smaller hole), but suprised to see that verticle movement is zero, nada! Now to get some in black (most of my rods are black) and Im going to sand/dremel the thickness of the eye to accomodate smaller hooks for smaller line class rigs. The width of the zips that I have on hand and plan to use going forward is 3/16inch. For my lite-line/narrow diameter blank rods I'll continue to use the hook keepers show in the pix. I sent you a pm as well Sal and thanx for bringing-up this topic which generated the great tip from conchy.

Thanx guys,

Leo

Alto Mare

Leo, that EZ-Keeper works like a charm. I did have a little hard time installing it, but that's because of my big fingers. It's a nice simple design.
Thanks for sending it to me.
Sal

broadway

If you use circle hooks (that's all I use) take a piece of "rescue tape", self adhering with no adhesive and wrap it around your rod just above the hook keeper to prevent scratches.  I have a g-loomis pro blue that's cosmetically challenged due to the ez-keepers design but still nails fish ;)
I have actually had it on that rod for 3 years and is still going strong... just use a shot of the tape and you're good to go.  I'd hate to see one of those Fenwicks with a scratch :o ;)
Dom