Penn 113H with 113 Drag Washers?

Started by myphoenix2301, September 26, 2012, 01:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myphoenix2301

I went ahead and bought the 5+1 carbontex drag set and thin metal drag set from Dawn at SmoOOoth Drag.  I used the original main gear even though the ear grooves didn't go to the bottom.  I put the drag washer-keyed metal washer-drag washer-keyed metal washer in first and then followed by the alternate drag washers and eared metal washers, then topped with the final keyed metal washer.  Put everything back together and it worked just fine.
John

Alto Mare

Hello John, you probably lost some drag with that configuration, one of the bottom two washers is probably not doing much if anything :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

myphoenix2301

Oops.  Well maybe I will have to get the Dremel out or look into buying a new gear.  Thanks for the info.

Alto Mare

That gear will be fine with the 1+5, just drop in one of the thicker keyed washer first and proceed with the thinner ones.

Also, there isn't anything wrong with using the reel the way you have it set up, you just won't get the full drag range, but you could certainly use it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

John, if you are concerned about the grooves not machined deep enough, here is a simple way of checking.  Place a carbontex, keyed, and carbontex in the gear and eyeball it.  You'll be able to see if the grooves are deep enough for the first eared washer.  If so, then you can install them in the correct order, ie: carbontex, keyed, carbontex, eared, carbontex, keyed, carbontex, eared, carbontex, keyed.  I have a new gear and even though the grooves aren't machined all the way to the bottom, they are more than adequately deep.

You might as well try to wring the most drag possible out of a 1+5 stack.  Give it a try and let us know what you find.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

myphoenix2301

Thank you guys.  I will try the recommendations w/o firing up the Dremel.  I appreciate your help.
John

Bryan Young

Another option is to bend the ears of the eared washer up slightly to it will sit more flush with the bottom of the gear if the slots were not deep enough.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

myphoenix2301

I used one of the original thick metal discs as was suggested.  Works fine.  I checked the depth of the grooves in the gear and they weren't quite deep enough.  This time I worked on the drag discs w/o disassembling the reel.  Much easier.  Thanks again.
John

Keta

Quote from: myphoenix2301 on October 16, 2012, 05:28:14 PM
Thank you guys.  I will try the recommendations w/o firing up the Dremel.  I appreciate your help.
John

With the 1+5 washer set up you will not have to grind the groove.  It's only for the unproven 1-7 drag stacks that the shallow grove becomes a problem. 

The gear stack should be keyed, CF, eared, CF, keyed, CF, eared, CF, keyed.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: Keta on October 21, 2012, 01:33:13 AM

With the 1+5 washer set up you will not have to grind the groove.  It's only for the unproven 1-7 drag stacks that the shallow grove becomes a problem. 

Lee, you are right.  I doublechecked my 113H and found the same thing.  However, I won't need to dremel my main gear.  when I place a thicker HT100 in the gear first, then keyed, thin carbontex, eared, thin carbontex, keyed, so on, it works.  I'm able to install a 1+7 drag stack and all fits without the dreaded dremel. ;)  Others could find that their mileage may vary.
  George   
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

Quote from: George4741 on October 21, 2012, 07:04:27 PM
[ when I place a thicker HT100 in the gear first, then keyed, thin carbontex, eared, thin carbontex, keyed, so on, it works.  I'm able to install a 1+7 drag stack and all fits without the dreaded dremel. ;)  Others could find that their mileage may vary.
 George  

On my 1+7 349H reels I used thick Carbontex, thick keyed, thick Carbotex, thin eared, thin Carbontex, thin keyed, thin Carbontex, thin eared, thin Carbontex, thin keyed, thin Carbontex, thick eared, thick Carbontex, thick keyed.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain