Penn 113H with 113 Drag Washers?

Started by myphoenix2301, September 26, 2012, 01:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myphoenix2301

I have an old Penn 113H Senator 4/0 Special (red sides) that I cleaned up today.  When I disassembled the drag system there were only three thick drag washers made of a hard fibrous material.  I thought about going with the carbontex washers from Cal's so looked at the PENN schematics.  I see the 113H is supposed to have five washers and the 113 only has three, like mine.  Is my 113H an earlier reel that didn't come with the 5 drag washers?  After reading a couple threads here I see the 113 has black sides.  It looks like I am going to have to buy the whole set of drag washers and metal washers for my reel to upgrade.  Can someone tell me if I am on the right track?  Thanks.
John

Keta

Quote from: myphoenix2301 on September 26, 2012, 01:41:31 AM
It looks like I am going to have to buy the whole set of drag washers and metal washers for my reel to upgrade.  Can someone tell me if I am on the right track?  Thanks.
John

Yes you are.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

seaeagle2

For what it's worth, some of the 113h's I picked up off ebay had 3 washer drags.  Some of them also had a steel main gear, and the slots that the eared washers fit in didn't go all the way down the gear so the 5 washer stack wouldn't fit. 
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

George4741

Quote from: seaeagle2 on September 26, 2012, 02:36:48 AM
For what it's worth, some of the 113h's I picked up off ebay had 3 washer drags.  Some of them also had a steel main gear, and the slots that the eared washers fit in didn't go all the way down the gear so the 5 washer stack wouldn't fit. 

And if any of those guys want to get rid of their steel gears, I'll take them off of their hands. ;)
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

Quote from: George4741 on September 26, 2012, 03:01:46 AM
And if any of those guys want to get rid of their steel gears, I'll take them off of their hands. ;)

Me too.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

seaeagle2

My wife was after me cause the number of boxes being delivered to her office was vastly outnumbering the number getting picked up.  So I took what was left after I built up my lightweight 113h tanks, made up a couple reels and sold them, and guess where the steel gears ended up...... I spaced and didn't even mention it in the listings so somebody got a unexpected bonus....
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

myphoenix2301

I guess I had better look again at the main gear to see if the slots go deep enough.  I may have to stick with the 3 drag system.  I have seen a 3-drag set from Smooth Drag on eBay.  Are those any better than the original drag discs?

Bryan Young

I would get the 5 stack HT-100 set (including metal washers) and use the extra washers as spacers.   It will be much better than the smoothies.  Option will be to purchase the same in Carbontex.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

myphoenix2301

Thanks Bryan.  I have an inquiry in to SmOoOth Drag.

Keta

You can carefuly grind the slots with a Dremel.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

No need to grind the slots, fourth washer from the bottom is eared.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

LTM

MP,

Decades ago I changed out the drag stack in my 113HN's from 5+1 to the thick 3+1 cause my reel guy said it was better than the HT-100's that came with the reel. Well, since I TANKED these two reels I replaced the original 5 HT-100 drags and metal washers (yes I held on to them for close to 30 years and Im not "anal" just "frugal and resourseful". This is probably what happened in your case as well.

Leo

myphoenix2301

Ok, thanks guys.  It sounds like there is only one "eared" metal washer in the 5 carbontex disc system.  I guess I was thinking of my two 321 GTi reels that have two eared metal washers. I will see what SmOoOth Drag says but I think it will be worth checking out the 5 carbontex system for my reel.

Keta

Quote from: myphoenix2301 on September 26, 2012, 11:20:19 PM
It sounds like there is only one "eared" metal washer in the 5 carbontex disc system.  

There is 2 eared metal washers in a 5+1 drag sack, Sal was counting the CF and metal washers.  I would not hesitate to convert a 3 drag stack to a 5+1 stack, the 7+1 hasn't had enough time for me to recommend.

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 26, 2012, 08:11:36 PM
No need to grind the slots, fourth washer from the bottom is eared.

I was thinking about the 7+1 stack with thinner washers.

Mark Twain