6/0 Kolekar on Baja Special

Started by George4741, September 26, 2012, 03:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

I'm sure what I'm suggesting here has been done before, but I have never read anyone else replacing the knob on their Baja Special in this fashion.  So, here goes....  

When I bought the Baja Special I thought the stock handle was enormous.  Over the years, and after seeing the much larger handles on other forum members reels, I decided that the Baja Special's knob is kind of wimpy.  The stock handle arm is chrome plated bronze and costs $39.40.  Mysticparts has a replacement handle, identical except the arm is stainless, for $17.45.  Rather than drill out the expensive handle, I decided to get the less expensive stainless handle and install a Kolelar 6/0 grip on it.  That way I have the original handle and can return the reel to stock condition if I ever sell it.

The stock handle and stainless handle, with the Kolelar 6/0 grip for comparison.

The Kolekar 6/0 grip installed on the reel.  Much better!  Now THIS is a handle more befitting a Baja Special!

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
viurem lliures o morirem

Bryan Young

Nice.  I would have though that the SS would have been more expensive.

You may want to replace that star.  It looks plastic and Penn has a metal replacement.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

saltydog

Those 6/0 handles are great I have one on a 12/0 and it makes all the differance,will be replacing many more soon.Thanks for the post.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

George4741

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 26, 2012, 05:45:13 AM
You may want to replace that star.  It looks plastic and Penn has a metal replacement.

Hmmm, I'd forgotten about that.  It's just more money....

Quote from: saltydog on September 26, 2012, 12:43:15 PM
Those 6/0 handles are great I have one on a 12/0 and it makes all the differance,will be replacing many more soon.Thanks for the post.

I also bought a Kolekar 6/0 for my 349H and while playing around I installed it on the wife's Penn 320-GT2.  She likes it very much, even with her tiny hands.  Now she wants one.  Again, it's just more money....   
viurem lliures o morirem

redsetta

G'day George,
I agree, the 6/0s are great - I think my 349HC and 10/0 are the last ones left to upgrade.
By the way, Scott's has the metal stars for $8.95 (#10-300T).
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

George4741

I could spend a small fortune upgrading all of my reels, so I've decided to economize on the Kolekar grips.  I also have two 2/0 Kolekars for my jigmaster sized reels, one 6/0 for the 349's and 113h, and one 6/0 for the 6/0 senators.  I will swap them around as needed when I go fishing.  I figure I don't need Kolekars installed on every one of my reels.
  George
viurem lliures o morirem