MY REELS

Started by LTM, September 26, 2012, 11:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Finally decided to post pictures of my reels. Ive serviced them all, about 60% need carbon fiber drags and about 75% need spectra and about 75% need handles/grips.  Here goes:

My Lever drag reels from lft to right AVET SX5.0 (12/15#), DAIWA LD30H (20#), DAIWA LD50H (25#), DAIWA LD50H (30#), AVET LX6/3 (40/50#), AVET PRO EX 4/02 (60/80#):

My large star drag reels; PENN 113HN TANK (40#), PENN 113HN TANK (50#), PENN 113H STD W/DBL SS DOGS ONLY (60#), DAIWA 600H:

My medium to small conventionals; DAIWA SL20SH (12/15#), SHIMANO TLD15/30S (25#), SHIMANO TLD 20/40 (30#), SHIMANO TORIUM 20 (25#), DAIWA SALTIGA SA30 (20#), DAIWA SALTIGA 30T (25#):

My small bait casting reels: DAIWA COASTAL 153H (8#), AMBASSADEUR 4600 UC C3 (8/10# W/EXTRA SPOOL), DAIWA LUNA 203 (10#), AMBASSADEUR 5500 UC C3 (12#), DAIWA MILLIONAIRE CVX-253 (12#), SHIMANO CALCUTTA CTE300 (12#):

Got some upgrading to do but at least I know what to do and how to do it and where to get the parts. Got about 6 spinners that I'll have to dig out and post pictures of and thats it. Would like to add: Okuma Serrano SR200, moderately priced 20# reel (Sealine-X 20SHV/Penn Fathom), Andros 5II and maybe a MAK20/30.

Thanx all,

Leo

redsetta

That's an impressive selection Leo - thanks for sharing.
Looks a bit like a Pro Gear star and handle on the 50# HN - nice ;)
Cheers mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

LTM

Thanx guys,

Justin, your right about the ProGear handle/arm assembly. I read somewhere here that they have a tendancy to round out with heavy drag.

Thanx for looking,

Leo

Alto Mare

WOW Leo! You have some nice reels there, very nice ;). Justin just mentioned the pro gear star. It is nice but if you're going to  fish with that reel, I'm going to recommend for you to toss it and save yourself some headaches.  Threads on that star don't hold up under pressure, the material is too too thin and soft. How do you like that Daiwa 600H, have you used it? Thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

saltydog

Great reels thanks for sharing.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

alantani

very nice collection.......  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

LTM

Thanx again guys for checking-out my little selection of reels,

Sal, years ago when I first got the ProGear star and handle I thought the star was light and I have the regular 113H replacement to re-install. What are your thoughts about the ProGear handle, will it be strong enough as well or have you found them to be too light as well? In regards to the 600H its a brutally strong reel, Ive used it LR @ Alijos Rocks, 2-3 day Albacore trips and locally trolling. Im looking forward to converting the drag stack to 5+1 or better and maybe some 80# braid.

All of my reel have boat rash to some degree and off-and-on over time have been heavily used. People/fisher-friends ask me quite often if Ive used my gear (my fisher-friends joke w/me all the time about my gear being so well maintained) rods included. What I do for my reels is store them in a reel case off-of my rods. Transporting and when on boats in the racks they stay covered until and after use with good quality reel covers by "Blue Water" or Neoprene covers. If a hot bite is going on and Im using multiple rods for whatever reason the covers for the in-use rods are left off.

Im sort of (to use the expression I ran across on this forum) a "gear tart" when taking care of my gear. I really dislike my rods/reels in the rack and someone places their Sporting Goods store $29 special with the cheap blue line in my claimed area for my rods (during a hot bite I can understand this but move it back after the bite) and the cheap reel in beating the hell out of one of my expensive reels. That really "chapps my hide" therefore the reel covers while ther reels are in the racks. Also the reel covers protect the line from the Sun especially on multi-day/LR trips as well as the salt spray on the reels. This extra effort is probably why I often get asked how much usage my gear gets. After fishing the rods get thouroughly cleaned and periodically waxed. Evidently it has paid off over the decades and allowed me to buy guns, knives and other things instead of corroded parts/reels. Im a firm beliver in using and taking good care of the things that I own, thats goes for everything.

The things/upgrades/tinkering that you guys do on this site has really elevated the performance of my reels and provided me with more options for my gear and thwarted obsolence.

Leo

john2244

Very nice collection !!!   Sal is right about the PG star, I have had a problem with 2 of them.   I have replaced all of my PG handles with T-bar handles but feel the stock PG handles will work fine if that is the style of handle you like.
John

Alto Mare

Leo I'm a GC, my work truck is cleaner than my wife's car ;D. We have some things in common ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

hi ltm,very nice
so do you have a favorite and why, leo

broadway

Leo,
    Nice collection! Do you do a lot of casting and jigging?  I noticed you have the handles in the more speed, less leverage position.
Always good to see a fellow member's collection.
Thanks,
Dom

Bill B

Beautiful collection.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

LTM

Thanx again guys for you positive comments regarding my selection of reels,

Broadway Dom, good observation. I JUST LOVE CASTING!!! ;D Ive one maybe two hundred metal jigs. Now I dont consider my reels a collection for there all WORKING TOOLS which I remove from my selection when they become obsolete parts wise. However, I WONT part with nar-a-jig Ive ever got and I got some BEAUTIES. Anywho, after servicing all of my reels I put some of the handles on in the short position instead of the leverage position like the 600H and one of the Daiwa lever drag reels. I keep wrenches in my fishing back pack for relocating the handles: especially after fighting a fish and realizing I need more leverage.

Thanx,

Leo