Question About and Old Reel

Started by jechterhoff, September 26, 2012, 08:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jechterhoff

I picked up a Mitchell 600 baitcast reel on ebay not too long ago and want to hear from someone knowledgeable about this old beauty.  Dawn said the drag washers are the same as for the Penn Squidder 140L; of which I now have 10.  She said she couldn't find any information on the spool bearing deminsions, size, etc.  I got the schematics for the reel but no other design data.  TIA, JEE.
For God So Loved The World, He Did Not Send A Committee

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

jechterhoff

Thanks a million, Justin.  I'm still looking for the deminsions of replacement ceramic Spool Bearings for my 600A.  Take care, JEE

raumati01

Have you checked out this thread ? http://mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=531   
Ideally i'd like to build a 602/620 with upgraded drags and the longer handle off a 624, so I'll be interested to see how you get on.

Nessie Hunter

Save yourself a ton of headaches...
Buy a cheap Digital Micrometer (about $12 at Harbor Freight)..

Mic the bearings and purchase according to size....
Same with drag washers when needed...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

jechterhoff

That's the way I'll do it.  Thanks.  Here's another...who on this earth has and would sell a Squidder 140 to 146 conversion kit?  JEE.

alantani

i have some spools somewhere.  some frames as well.  both are tiburons.  the problem is the expense. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

UKChris

I have one of the old 602AP versions. Don't believe the line that talks about the spools being unbreakable. They were well-known to burst apart eventually when used for beachcasting here in the UK. Shame, as they are otherwise tough little reels.

Chris