old penn 30 international help

Started by landingcrew, September 27, 2012, 05:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

landingcrew

hey yall, just wondering how i can get into the drag area on the sideplates side. also how can i get the main gear out so i can clean and inspect the area.here are some pics any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

alantani

the metal cap is held in by three tabs.  go in and look very carefully. you have to pry up the tabs.  use something plastic like the end of a plastic knife or spool to see if you can pry up the tabs.  if not, you will have to go in with a screwdriver to pry up the tabs, but that will mar the cover. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

landingcrew

alantani

here is a plastic cap from penn (couldn't find a gold one) that is exactly the same.  there are three tabs.  in the plastic version, they are conveniently marked with a "T". 

there are no such markings on your cap, so go in and look really carefully.  you will find them.  also, i am going to sticky this post later.  several guys have had the same trouble, and i don't want to loose this post.  it is a very important one.  thanks for asking.  been meaning to shoot these photos for quite a while.  just never got around to it. 

alantani

landingcrew

aaahhh i found them i will do a video tonight for this thread. now that its open, the drag looks brand spanking new! heck ya, now what is the best way to get the nasty grease out of the bearings and what is the best grease or oil to put inside there. thanks folks and alan im loving this site!!

alantani

for spool bearings, crack open the shields and toss them.  blow out the old grease with compressed air, clean out all the residue with carb or brake cleaner and more compressed air, then lube the bearings in your bearing lube of choice.  for non-spool bearings, take a look at a bearing packer, or see if you can somehow pack them by hand.  you have cal's drag grease for the drag washer?

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=870.0

landingcrew

i am going to order some drag grease. I have been looking around the site, is there a beginners barney style "this is what you want to start off with and why" thread? sorry for all of the questions but im a knowledge freak and i crave it  ;D also, the main gear area, how do i get it ouT!! thanks for everything tight lines

alantani

there are lots of stickied posts in the general maintenance section.  pick a quiet morning and a cup of coffee.  looks like you've got some catching up to do!   ;D

landingcrew

hmm, oh look a cup of coffee and morning....to the general maintence to edjamacate myself!!!

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Silent Hunter

You can easily locate these three tabs on the older aluminium drag covers by looking closely down the side of the cover. Once located just squeeze inwards on the first one with your thumb and lift at the same time - it will pop out. Then do the second tab the same way - it will pop out easier. Then slide the cover sideways a fraction to release the last tab. DOING IT THIS WAY DOESN'T BEND ANYTHING. Re-installation is a reversal of the removal.
Silence is Golden