Penn Fathom 20LW - quick disassembly

Started by Richardr, September 27, 2012, 07:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richardr

Hi
I'm posting some pictures from when I opened up my Penn Fathom 20LW. Hopefully useful for someone.
My goal was to open up the reel and have a look, not to clean out the bearings etc.
thanks

Lets remove the handle

Please note that there is a transparent plastic washer (not shown) under the nut holding the handle. Don't loose it.

Remove the stardrag

Washers. Orientation: Handle<- [(() ->sideplate

Remove the 4 screws holding the sideplate

I had problems with removing the handle side sideplate. It felt as if it was stuck (but was because of all the blue grease). So I decided to remove the non-handleside sideplate first just to make sure. Sorry for any confusion

Remove non-handleside sideplate.

Everything coated with a THICK layer of blue grease

non handleside view of the spool

handleside view of the spool. Notice the bearing which is not "inside" the spool.

Remove the handleside sideplate

I left the free spool mechanism in engaged mode (non free spool). I don't know if you should put it in free spool or not before removing the side plate.

Everything coated with blue grease

I like the look of the gears. The parts look strong and proper dimensioned for worry free usage.

Drag stack removed (but please notice there is still a metal washer left)

Dragstack in pieces.

The washer on the backside of the "gear" is not made of HT100, but old style Ambassadeur "plastic". I hope Penn is sure of the material choice for this washer. With Smoothdrag kits for ABUs you also change this washer to Carbontex...

Another picture which also shows the metal washer I forgot to remove the first time.

Close-up of spool non-handle side

Close-up of spool handle side. Again, please notice that the bearing doesn't have a "slot" and isn't fitted inside the spool.

Closeup of the non-handleside sideplate. I didn't remove any parts from here.

The plastic washer I mentioned in the beginning under handle handle nut.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Looks great, side plate layout is just like my 545gs, so much simpler than senators
Grayson Lanier

alantani

richard, thank you very much for all the photos.  if you would send me a pm with your address, i would like to mail you a penn wrench for your trouble.  i really appreciate the photos!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Nice work Richard - they're a good-looking reel.
Be careful with grease on/around the roller bearing and sleeve - it'll eventually compromise that part of the A/R.
Thanks for sharing, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Tile

I like the fact that the Fathom series of reels is well made. I think that my budget will go nuts when I will purchase one of these beauties.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Richardr

Hi guys
All that blue grease is from the factory. I have't greased the reel yet. Next time I'll clean it out and wipe off that excess grease.

thanks
Richard