Suggestions...Best reel for lead core line use?

Started by EL JEFE, September 27, 2012, 09:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EL JEFE

Hello all--

I'm looking for a reel that can handle a full spool of lead core line (will vary....10-30# use).  I will be trolling in fresh water lakes in So Cal. 

Will a level wind work well?  I'm thinking a level wind would be great in this application as it would keep the line evenly spooled.

I've ben told a Penn 320 Gti would work very well for what I want to do. 

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Carlos

Keta

I just serviced 2 ABU 6500 reels that were filled with lead line, the owner told me it worked well on these reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jimmer

What weight lead core and how many colors? A 330 will hold a full core of 27#, with mabe 50 yds. of 30# spectra backer. I prefer an Okuma convector 45 set up with high speed (6.2:1) for a full 27# core (100yds) for freshwater use, a little more line capacity and a lot faster to reel in to check baits.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

EL JEFE

Fishing primarily for striper and trout.  Stripr from 3-20#.  Trout from 1-12#.  Leadcore line would be 10-27#

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jimmer

What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

EL JEFE

I have considered downriggers and may add them to my boat.  But until I do.......

I want to know what reels will work well with 10-27# leadcore line.  How much capacity will a reel need to take a full 10 color spool of 27#lead core line (10 colors).  Will the suggested Penn 320 GTi work with the line above?
Thanks

zward

We fish Lake Michigan a lot for salmon, and use a lot of leadcore and copper line. In addition to getting down deep it also gets out away from the boat, so they're days when the downriggers and dipsy divers are dead, but copper and leadcores are on fire. Wouldnt head out without it anymore..

That said the 320 will work, but the slow retrieve will be a real pain.. I had a penn 309 that I used a full core (10 colors or 100yrds) on and that was a dog to reel in. All of our copper/leadcores are now on high speed okumas. The clarion 453LS (or whatever the 6.2:1 gear ratio model is) sounds perfect for what you are planning on doing, will handle a full color fine with braid backing, probably even with 20lb mono backing. For larger coppers (250 to 300 ft copper) we use the clarion 553.. For backing I use 50 lb braid.

A lot of guys use the penns for downrigger reels though, but very few around us use them for the long lines.

Good luck and tight lines!
Zane