60 Gear in a 111?

Started by Ron Jones, September 28, 2012, 05:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

So, in order to not hijack the Del Mar thread, I will ask this question here.

I've been looking at mysticparts.com and playing mad scientist. The 111 and 60 use the same sleeve and spool, the 60 uses a 2.5 gear and the 111 uses a 2.25 to 1 gear. They both use 3+1 HT-100 drags, so can you get the higher gear ratio to work in the 111? I know it is only .25 faster, but that is still 10%. So does anyone know if it will work?

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Ron Jones

Well, I answered my own question. The pinions are different, and beings how the spools are the same, this will work. I think I might make me one of these.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Ron, you are one hooked reel man!!!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

first guess is that it will not.  the circumference is probably a little smaller, accounting for the higher gear ratio.  it would have to be that way, in order to use the same main gear.  a smaller circumference means a smaller radius, which means that the distances between the centers of the spool and the gear sleeve have to be less.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

Well, I just realized that the pinion would also fit a 112, which I have, and it don't cost much. I gotta try it!

Bryan, if you think this is silly, wait for my next thread!

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

john2244

Ron,

Keep us posted and I am looking forward to read about your next idea.

John

Ron Jones

So, I'm gonna say no.
The pinion is smaller by maybe a tenth of an inch. The reel turns, but it is loud and their is excess slop. I'll play around a bit more, but I don't think this pinion works. I don't imagine Penn ever published something with the dimensions of their gears?

Ron
Ronald Jones
"