113d

Started by Ron Jones, September 28, 2012, 06:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

So, I'm a submariner. I really like reliability over performance. As long as the required performance is reached. I'm building a row boat, and intend to row troll the leeward side of Oahu. Alan has pointed out that reels close to the water do better with bushings, but 113Hs have better drags and are faster. So, I just did something no one else would do. I put a 113 left side plate on a 113H. So now I have bushings on one side. This particular reel hasn't been serviced yet so it is ROUGH, but the free spool didn't seem to slow down at all.

Just a factoid that no one probably cares about. Anyone know how to replace the right side bearing with a bushing?

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

VW

The way I use my 113H reels most of the time, I do not think I really need bearings and the maintenance is a bit of a hassle.  Have considered making some brass/bronze bushings the same size as the bearings and dropping them in as replacements.  That is the only way I can see to do it.     

Keta

A machinist should be able to make a bronze plain bearing (bushing) but time is money for working people.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Keta,
Thanks for the reply.

Question,
If I bought s stainless machine screw, cut it to length and bored the appropriate sized whole in a lathe, do you think the stainless would eat up the spool shaft? I guess I could bore it to the size of a Penn bushing and just install that if the stainless is a bad idea.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Cone

I think you would be better off with sintered bronze bushing stock from someplace like Mcmaster Carr or Enco. The bushing stock is porous and holds oil better. It's also softer than the shaft and will wear over time instead of the shaft. I may be wrong though, it won't be my first time. :o
Let us know how it goes. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

George4741

I'm wondering if, as the bearings loose their effectiveness, won't they often act as a bushing?
viurem lliures o morirem

johndtuttle

You could certainly replace the bearing with bushings, or, rather than the trouble of getting bushings made you could also drop ceramic bearings in there and forget about it (will never rust). There somewhat higher cost is probably a wash with the time and trouble to get bushings made.

Ron Jones

I tried ceramics once. Spun like crazy, and shattered when the reel was dropped. I understand that doesn't happen anymore, but I just like the idea of bushings in this situation. A few less moving parts and all that. I'll see if I can't dig up some bushing material around the shipyard.

Thanks all,
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

redsetta

QuoteI just like the idea of bushings in this situation. A few less moving parts and all that.
You're on the right track then Ron - bronze bushings would best suit your needs (sintered ideally).
Bushed designs (eg Ambassadeur, Jigmaster etc) have withstood the test of time for good reason ;)
Quote...as the bearings lose their effectiveness, won't they often act as a bushing?
Not in my experience, as the ID fit is generally too snug and, as Bob noted, the softer bronze beds-in over time.
I have a couple of very old bushed reels that spin better than their modern counterparts...
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Cone

Ceramic bearings do not rust but the cages and races are mostly ss these do rust and ruin the bearings. JMO  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Bruce

Second the oilite bronze bushing ( sintered  Down Under ) used for decades in transmission output shafts, crank shaft release bearing, boat prop shafts.
    It will get er done.
    I would imagine if you did internet search ytou might turn up something you could use or modify for use.

Buzz
Buzz

Irish Jigger

I would replace the ball bearing with a brass bush .125" id x .375" od x .156" wide. Your left side plate bush is brass so it will be ok. Don't use s/steel as it will eventually bond to the s/steel spool spindle.