Reel Servicing Tools

Started by Bruddah Bill, September 28, 2012, 10:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruddah Bill

I'm just starting to get into reel servicing, repair and I'm especially interested in restoring older reels.  While reading a lot of your posts over the last few weeks, I tried to pay attention to the tools you guys were using while doing what you do.  At the moment I haven't gotten much further than a screwdriver and some steel wool. 

Question #1: What tools other than a screwdriver are you guys reaching for the most?

I've recently came in to possession a collection of Starrett machinist tools: depth guages, micrometers, calipers, levels, squares and a bunch of other tools I'm going to have to Google to even know what they're for.  I bought them for resale, but I wouldn't mind keeping a few essentials if I can squeeze them out of my profit.

Question #2: If you were to raid a machinist's toolbox strictly for the purpose working on reels, what would you take?

I know they're pricey, well-made and I may be a while before I come across tools like these again... I would be kicking myself if I sold something that I'll wind up wanting later. 

Mahalo in advance for you input.
Owner & Manager
Ewa Beach Buy & Sell
HiFishGear.com

kamuwela

center punch, extractors, drill bits and micrometers.

LTM

Wait for Keta (aka Lee) to respond, he's a retired millwright and he's definitely one who can help. Starett makes the best or some of the best instruments in the world. If you have micrometers and calipers and squares etc.etc I would keep them. But I have a STRONG affinity for quality tools.

Dont forget to check out the sticky post in the top area of this section on tools for getting started and also Alan's post on the tools he uses and you may want to look at the photo section and see some of the guys work areas.

Leo

Irish Jigger

1/ If you shall be measuring bearings etc get yourself a 6 in/150 mm Digital Caliper ref link.
  2/ Get rid of that steel wool and get something less abrasive and non ferrous.

http://www.technologystudent.com/equip1/vernier1.htm

rodent

Bradduh bill for question #1, check out the second topic in the tools and lubes "tools of the trade", it will give you an idea of the tools of the trade. Mind you this is a professional set-up and a bit extreme, but you are in the right place.  just read some of the older threads and you will get the idea of what you need.

LTM

Bill,

What ever you decide on keep in mind that "tinkering" can become very "semi-addictive". Therefore you "may" want to reserve selling off some of the tools that you may find yourself "needing" down the path of future "tinkering". You can always sell them later if you see your not using them. You may even try sending a detailed list (email) to someone who responds who is very knowledgeable about this and see what they recommend. Lots of great resources here.

Good luck,

Leo

PS. Bill you may want to advertise your sell tools in the classified section here as well. Lots of "Tool Hounds" here.

redsetta

QuoteGet rid of that steel wool and get something less abrasive and non ferrous.
x2
AK posted a great list here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4579.0
And one from Alan here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3.0
Take your time, though, and figure out what works for you...
Hope that's of some assistance.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer