Tiagra 50WLRS rebuild questions

Started by Toddkfly, September 27, 2012, 08:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toddkfly

Long time reader first time poster.  Have to say this is one of my favorite sites to learn from so thanks to all who contribute regularly. 

I am rebuilding some older Tiagra50WLRS reels that are in great shape and I have a couple of questions.
1.  The black drag cover plate does not have the 4 screws, rather the entire plate screws on and off.  My problem, these reels have never been opened up and those plates are not budging.  I can't get to the drag washer.  I called shimano and they said they had a special tool but I would rather not send these out since my friend needs them in the next 2-3 weeks.  Any ideas are appreciated.
2.  All of the bearings are shielded.  Since I am not terribly worried about free spool on these, is it really worth tearing the shields off.  All seem to be performing very well.
3.  The last reel I have yet to open seems to be missing the anti reverse stop.  Not sure what might have failed but will be digging into that tonight.

Thanks again for all the great info and tight lines!

alantani

welcome!  i have an extra wrench if you need one.  they are included with every reel.  send me a pm with your address and i will mail it out.  also, remember that the spool cap has left hand threads.  for non-spool bearings, you can pack them with grease.  a bearing packer http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=870.0 makes that job quick and easy.  spool bearing spin best and last longest if they are opened, cleaned, lubed and left open.  make sure you grease both sides of the drag washer and the pressure plate that the drag washer is screwed onto.  then put a light coat of grease all through the inside of the reel.  you will figure out the anti-reverse problem when you open up the reel.  something inside is busted up. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!